F-1 students who earn an income will need to file annual tax forms with the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Income includes graduate assistantships, on-campus student worker jobs, scholarship stipends, internships, internship/practicum honorariums, interest on a U.S. savings account and more.

The deadline for filing taxes is April 15. Tax forms are filed with the U.S. Federal Government through the IRS and through the state in which the income was earned.

Employers, universities and businesses that gave the student money through employment over the last year are required to send the student the proper documentation by January 31st of the next year. A student who earns a standard wage will receive a W-2 form to complete his/her taxes. A student who has received scholarships, stipends, fellowships, etc. will need to complete additional documentation.

How to File Taxes:

  • Documents needed to file taxes include: 
    • Passport, Visa, I-94 Card
    • Exit and entry dates for all previous U.S. visits
    • I-20, DS-2019 and all other immigration documents
    • Social security number or Individual Tax Identification Number
    • Current Address and Foreign Home Address
  • Determine residency status
  • Determine sources of income
  • Determine the forms that need to be filled out
  • Gather information needed to fill out the forms
  • Determine if any money is owed
  • Mail forms to the appropriate address
  • Keep a copy of all documents for future use

The International Student Services Office offers tax workshops during the academic year. Please email for information regarding dates. 

Helpful Links