Arriving and the I-94 Form

You should arrive in the United States no more than 30 days prior to the start of your program. 

Before your arrival, you should have plans in place for housing, transportation from the airport and other immediate needs. 


Before beginning your studies, you must show proof of the following immunizations:

  • MVR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) - 2 Immunizations Required
  • Varicella (Chicken Pox) - 2 Immunizations Required
  • Meningitis - 1 Immunization Required 
  • Tuberculosis Skin Test - Non-U.S. citizens from countries of high incidence are required to have a TB Skin Test, applied and read, before registration 

Registering for Courses/Requesting Permits

To Register for Classes:

Login to the portal using your username and password from your UofM email. 

Select the Student page from the bar at the top of the screen. 

Find the Registration Tools portlet. This contains links these key registration functions plus a collection of help guides: Registration Status; Look Up Classes; Add or Drop Classes; and Concise Student Schedule. When selecting any of the registration functions, you will be prompted to enter a Term. Select the desired term (Spring, Fall, Summer) and click Submit.

Click on Registration Status to: 

  • Verify your earliest date to register; you cannot register before this date. 
  • Check to see if you have any holds; if you do, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click [View Holds] to see what you must do to remove the hold. You cannot register if you have a registration hold. Logout and clear the hold before attempting to register. 
  • Look for any permits issued to you. If you have a permit, make note of the CRN. 

Click on Look Up Classes and then the Advanced Search option to look at course offerings. Select options to search for the classes you want. Click [Class Search]. Using the Search options, you can filter your results (for example, courses offered at a particular campus, online courses only, courses taught by a specific instructor, etc.). 

Click on Add or Drop Classes to register for classes. Note: All degree seeking students must be advised. Non-degree seeking students do not need to be advised.

If you are a degree seeking student and have been cleared by your advisor to register (or if you are non-degree seeking): 

  • You will see the Add or Drop Classes Screen.
  • Read the instructions and important information.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the screen and enter your CRNs in the row of open blocks.
  • Click [Submit Changes]. The screen will refresh and your courses will be listed. *Web Registered* will appear to the left of those courses you have successfully registered for. Courses you did not successfully register for will be listed below these and you will see a brief explanation of the problem.  
  • Refer to this list of common error messages. 
  • Adjust your classes as needed. 

If you are a degree seeking student but have NOT been cleared by your advisor to register:

  • You will get an Alternate PIN Verification page.
  • Do not enter anything; logout instead.
  • Meet with your advisor; only your advisor can clear this PIN. Once it is cleared, you will not see the Alternate PIN screen again during the semester and you will be able to register. 

Click on Concise Student Schedule to view and print your personal class schedule after you have registered.

Logout: Click on the logout icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. 

To Request a Permit for a Class: 

A permit is an electronic "permission slip" that allows you to register for a course section that is closed to you because it is full or has been labeled "restricted" or "permit required" by the academic department. If the section you want to register for carries the note "Restricted" or "Permit Required," you must receive an electronic permit before you can register for the course. 

You must request a permit from the academic department offering the subject. If the department/unit agrees to allow you to register for the course, it will issue an electronic "permit" in the University's registration system. Until it issues this permit, the system will not allow you to register for the class.  

myMemphis & TigerXpress

To pay fees and access TigerXpress, visit

For help with myMemphis, visit

The I-94 Form

The form I-94 is a border crossing item for all international visitors to the United States. In most cases it can be accessed online. The form I-94 also lists the official category (F-1, J-1, H1B, etc) that an individual has been labeled at the time of their entry to the U.S. 

The form I-94 should show your admission to the U.S. for the duration of your status, abbreviated as "D/S," which represents the period that an F-1 student will be enrolled in a full course of study or taking part in Practical Training. 

The form I-94 is required to apply for a social security number or driver's license.

Find more information about the form I-94 by visiting


Temporary Housing Options:

  • The Holiday Inn is located on the main campus at 3700 Central Avenue, Memphis, TN 38111. Rates start at $139/night. Please call 901.678.8200 for more information. 
  • Conference Housing accommodations are available from late May through early August for both on- and off-campus groups seeking affordable housing, excellent dining services, and a variety of meeting areas located both indoors and outdoors on campus. Summer Conference Housing is available in two residence halls, located on the main campus: Centennial Place & the Living Learning Center. Contact or call 901.678.5000 for more information. 

Housing Options:

  • Adult and Commuter Services provides an Off-Campus Housing Database that simplifies the off-campus housing search process for students. This database provides off-campus housing listings, roommates, sublets, furniture, educational resources (sample leases, safety checklists, roommate agreements) and links to local resources (utility setup, public transportation, city/county government, etc.) Access the database by going to
  • Properties Near the University of Memphis
    • The Stratum is located at 510 South Highland Street, Memphis, TN 38111 and is a 5-minute walk to campus! Apartments come in studio, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom and 4-bedroom options. Rates start at $559/month for a 4-bedroom, 2-bath apartment.
    • Gather on Southern is located at 3655 Southern Ave, Memphis, TN 38111 and is a 1-minute walk to campus. Apartments come in studio, 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom and 4-bedroom options. Rates start at $619 for a 4-bedroom, 4-bath apartment.
    • Highland Row is located at 395 South Highland Street, Memphis, TN 38111 and is a 7-minute walk to campus. Apartments come in studio, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom and 3-bedroom options. Rates start at $985 for a studio apartment.
    • The Nine is located at 3565 Mynders Avenue, Memphis, TN 38111. Apartments come in 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom and 4-bedroom options. Rates start at $650 for a 4-bedroom, 4-bath apartment.
  • Reminder: You should not pay a deposit or sign a lease until you have seen the apartment and where it is located.


  • Transportation in the United States is primarily automobile-based, which may be different from the preferred method of transportation in your home country. If you plan to drive a car while you are here, you should consider if you meet certain conditions. These conditions include having a valid driver's license from your home country and an International Driving Permit.
  • Depending on your personal preference and available travel plans, you may travel to Memphis by the following ways:
    • Memphis International Airport (MEM)
    • Amtrak Train Station 
    • Greyhound Bus Station 
    • Driving from another city
  • You should inform International Student Services (ISS) of your plans by emailing, including the date, time and location of your arrival. The ISS Office will arrange to have a volunteer pick you up and bring you to the University of Memphis Main Campus, where they will help you get your campus ID and check you into your dormitory. You will be given further information regrading events for international students after your arrival. 
  • For more information regarding border security and customs, please visit the Department of Homeland Security at