I-20 SEVIS Transfer
For any F-1 visa student planning to change from a U.S. school to The University of Memphis, note the following checklist.
1. Complete all academic requirements for admission to a degree program. This step is handled exclusively inside the Admissions Office for undergraduates, or in the Graduate Admissions section of the Graduate School for students pursuing Masters or PhD programs. www.memphis.edu
2. Provide our office with an affidavit of support with banker's signature, or bank
letter detailing funding, graduate assistantship information (if any), government
sponsorship letter, or any combination thereof. Note that government sponsorship letters
must specifically mention The University of Memphis as the designated school for the
student, and government sponsorship letters must cover one full year (12 months) of
student costs if they will be used as the sole source of funding.
Locate the affidavit of support here: http://www.memphis.edu/ugcatalog/images/affidavit.pdf
3. Provide our office with a scan of your passport's data page, showing your name, birthdate, and passport expiry. Note that F-1 visa holders are required to maintain a passport that is at least 6 months from expiration while inside the U.S.
4. Provide our office with a scan of your current visa page, or other proof of visa status such as change of status approval notice. Also let us know if you have any pending Permanent Residence application, or other visa issues.
5. Provide our office with a current residential address, both inside and outside of the U.S.
6. Let us know the date that you have requested your online SEVIS record release from your previous school.
Once items 1-6 are completed, our office can normally make the new I-20 within a very short amount of time. Remember to keep both old and new I-20s, as previous I-20s can be requested by the government for a variety of purposes.