The Data Warehouse is a database designed for analytical and information processing.
Data are extracted from the university's business systems into a single integrated
information asset. The warehouse is a read-only collection of data intended to answer
A Data Warehouse can:
- enable users with better information,
- improve accessibility to integrated data,
- enable informed decision-making leading to increased or improved service,
- improve data quality in the OLTP (On-Line Transaction Processing) systems,
- improve consistency with data from multiple systems,
- help identify hidden business opportunities, and
- act as a strategic planning tool.
The Data Warehouse is an On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP) system that is populated
using data from the University's operational systems—also known as an On-Line Transaction
Processing (OLTP) systems. An OLAP system provides a means of archiving data gathered
over time by OLTP systems, and then analyzing that data for trends. OLAP and OLTP
can be compared in the following ways: