Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Securing Your Personal Information
Can I keep my personal information from being displayed in the U of M Electronic Phone Directory?
Yes. Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, release of personally identifiable student education records (other than directory information) to any party other than those specified by FERPA is not permitted without your written consent. Further, you may elect one of two options below to restrict the "Directory Information". The University of Memphis defines its "Directory Information" as follows:
- Student U-Number
- Telephone Number
- E-mail Address
- Major Field of Study
- Date and Place of Birth
- Participation in Officially Recognized Activities and Sports
- Weight and Height of Members of Athletic Teams
- Dates of Attendance
- Degrees and Awards Received
- Most Recent Previous Education Agency or Institution Attended
- Current Enrollment Status (enrolled hours, full-time or part-time status)
Restricting All Directory Information
Please consider very carefully the consequences of a decision to have all your "Directory Information" withheld. The University will:
- not include your name, address, or phone number in the Telephone Directory,
- not include your e-mail address in the electronic directory,
- refuse to release any information about you to your insurance company, current or future employers, all types of media, and any non-institutional persons or organizations,
- give no financial aid or personal information over the phone,
- state "We can provide no information on that person" to any request for information.
The University assumes no liability for honoring your request to withhold this information.
NOTE: The University can only ensure that your information will be withheld from the telephone directory if your request is turned in before the 14th day of Fall classes.
To restrict the release of directory information, log into https://iam.memphis.edu/ and choose the Restrict Release of Student Directory Information (FERPA) option. After reading the disclaimer, select the appropriate option and click Update.