The Data Warehouse is a database designed for analytical and information processing. Data are extracted from the university's business systems into a single integrated information asset. The warehouse is a read-only collection of data intended to answer business questions.
A Data Warehouse can:
- enable users with better information,
- improve accessibility to integrated data,
- enable informed decision-making leading to increased or improved service,
- improve data quality in the OLTP (On-Line Transaction Processing) systems,
- improve consistency with data from multiple systems,
- help identify hidden business opportunities, and
- act as a strategic planning tool.
The Data Warehouse is an On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP) system that is populated using data from the University's operational systems—also known as an On-Line Transaction Processing (OLTP) systems. An OLAP system provides a means of archiving data gathered over time by OLTP systems, and then analyzing that data for trends. OLAP and OLTP can be compared in the following ways:
|Data is updated||Data is read-only|
|Uncontrolled redundancy||Managed redundancy|
|Current data||Historical and current data<|
|Repetitive processing||"What if" processing|
|Limited history||Trends over time|
|Response in seconds||Response in minutes|
What data is contained in the Data Warehouse?
- Data contained in the Data Warehouse is organized by Subject Areas such as Student, Course, Census, Employee, Financial Aid, Person, Finance, Alumni, and Bursar. Most subject areas contain data from both Banner (current ERP system) and PLUS (prior ERP system).
How frequently is the Data Warehouse updated?
- The Data Warehouse is updated every week day. This is determined based on user information needs and the confines of the systems that run the University's daily business.
Who may access the Data Warehouse?
- After completing a short training course, University of Memphis faculty or staff members may access information stored in the Data Warehouse, based on individual need. After completing the training course, access can be requested here.
How do I access the Data Warehouse?
- The Data Warehouse can be accessed from your desktop through a web-based application. The data can also be exported into data formats such as spreadsheet, text or hypertext.
How do I receive more information?
- For more information, send e-mail to email@example.com.