Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law
University of Memphis Photo
Study Abroad

While Memphis Law does not currently host any study abroad programs, we encourage students to explore programs at other law schools. Study abroad is a great way to gain unique educational experiences and meet students from all over the world.

How to Apply for Study Abroad

Please review Academic Regulations 16.5 and learn about transfer credit for law school work completed at another law school. Credit will only transfer from an ABA-accredited law school.  You first must request the permission of David S. Romantz, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, to enroll in the program. You must make a ā€œCā€ or better in each course for the credit to transfer. The credit hours transfer, but the actual grade does not.

To receive permission from Dean Romantz, you must submit a written memo requesting approval for transfer credit.  The memo must provide sufficient information for Dean Romantz to evaluate the transfer credit.  The memo must be in hard copy (no emails) and must include the following information:

1.  The name of the law school hosting the study abroad program.  (Please note that the law school must be accredited by the ABA).

2.  An official course description including the number of credit hours to be awarded.  (Please note that links to a program are not sufficient - you must copy and paste the relevant information into your memo).

3.  A description of how the the course(s) is examined (paper, final examination, etc.).

4.  Information on how the course is graded (pass/fail, letter grades, etc.).  Please note that pass/fail credits will not be accepted. If a course is pass/fail, you must contact the host school to make alternative grading arrangements and provide that documentation to Dean Romantz.

5.  Your signature.  

Law schools from all over the country send Memphis Law information about upcoming study abroad opportunities, and we post this information on a bulletin board in the basement near the student mailboxes for you to view.  In addition, this list is not exhaustive but contains additional information about international programs.

For example, Mississippi College School of Law is hosting programs in Mexico, Cuba, China, Germany, South Korea, and France this year.  You can find more information about these programs here.  

In addition, the ABA maintains as list of ABA-approved study abroad programs for law students. You can access that list here.

Also, students can apply for University scholarship funding for study abroad programs. You can find more information about study abroad scholarships here

If you have any questions about study abroad programs, please contact Assistant Dean for Law Student Affairs, Meredith Aden. She can be reached at maden@memphis.edu or by calling (901) 678-2528. 


Calendar, Schedules, Booklists
    & Registration

Honor Council
Academic Regulations
        Academic Regulations FAQ
CALI Awards
       Curriculum Summary
Course Catalog
Legal Writing Competitions
Legal Clinics
International Law Programming
Institute of Health Law & Policy
Degree Programs
        JD/MA in Political Science
        MPH Fast Track
        Part-time Program
Certificate Programs
       Certificate in Advocacy
       Certificate in Tax Law
       Certificate in Business Law
       Certificate in Health Law
       GA Timesheet Form
Study Abroad

Financial Information

Request a Transcript

Pro Bono
Alternative Spring Break

Student Services

Academic Success Program
Bar Exam Information
Counseling Services
Information Technology
Law School ID Card Replacement
Locker Rentals
TN Lawyers Assistance Program
Main Campus Student Services

Campus Recreation
Health Center

Student Organizations

Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 4/1/14