About Professor Newman
Professor John M. Newman joined the full-time faculty in 2015. He currently teaches Contracts I and II, Antitrust Law, and Conflict of Laws. In 2016, Professor Newman received the Farris Bobango Faculty Scholarship Award, presented to one faculty member each year in recognition of outstanding scholarly contributions. In 2017, he was selected by students as the law school's Professor of the Year.
Professor Newman's scholarship focuses on competition and innovation policy in technology markets. His articles have been accepted for publication in the University of Pennsylvania Law Review, George Washington Law Review, Vanderbilt Law Review, Washington University Law Review, Florida State University Law Review, and the Maryland Law Review. He has been interviewed on CNBC, and his commentary has appeared in popular press sources including Business Insider, Bloomberg, and New Scientist.
Prior to joining the Memphis Law faculty, Professor Newman practiced as a trial attorney (entry via the Honors Program) with the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. His primary practice involved civil antitrust litigation, analyzing the competitive effects of mergers and acquisitions, and investigating potential antitrust conduct violations. He also maintained an active pro bono practice, representing low-income tenants in litigation and alternative dispute resolution and advising a start-up regarding intellectual-property licensing issues.
While earning his J.D., Professor Newman served as research assistant to Herbert Hovenkamp, was managing editor of the Iowa Law Review, and published student notes in journals at the University of Virginia and the University of Iowa.
J.D., University of Iowa College of Law (2011);
B.A., Iowa State University of Science & Technology (2007).
- The Myth of Free, 86 GEO. WASH. L. REV. (forthcoming 2017).
- Essay, The Antitrust Jurisprudence of Neil Gorsuch, 45 FLA. ST. U. L. REV. (forthcoming 2017).
- Antitrust in Zero-Price Markets: Applications, 94 WASH. U. L. REV. 49 (2016).
- Antitrust in Zero-Price Markets: Foundations, 164 U. PA. L. REV. 149 (2015).
- Copyright Freeconomics, 66 VAND. L. REV. 1409 (2013).
- Personal Jurisdiction and Choice of Law in the Cloud, 73 MD. L. REV. 313 (2013) (with Damon Andrews).
- Anticompetitive Product Design in the New Economy, 39 FLA. ST. U. L. REV. 681 (2012).