Lipman Milestones

  • 1947
    • Founded as Highland Preschool by Theresa Baum
  • 1959
    • Adopted as the laboratory school for Memphis State University Department of Education-- housed in the University Training School Building and offering two classes for children ages four to six
  • 1967
    • School moved to occupy present facilities at 3771 Poplar Ave
  • 1971
    • Name changed to Children's School
  • 1978
    • Duration Club School, a preschool for "mentally challenged children" merged with Children's School, creating the first inclusive preschool in Memphis
  • 1986
    • Children's School became the Barbara K. Lipman Early Childhood School and Research Institute
  • 1987
    • Received first Accreditation from the National Association for the Education Of Young Children, Washington, D.C.
  • 1992
    • Housed Project Memphis, the first early intervention program in the United States
  • 1997
    • Installed computers with Internet access, funded by Project Smart
  • 1998
    • Broke ground for the Lipman School Multipurpose Building Annex
  • 2003
    • Established the dual track demonstrations of Montessori and Reggio Emilia-inspired teaching and learning, making Lipman School the only lab school in the United States with this type of constructivist environment
  • 2004
    • Received licensure from the Tennessee Department of Education because of educational status
    • Became charter members of NAREA (North American Reggio Emilia Association)
    • Joined ACT (Association for Constructivist Teachers)
    • Renewed our NALS (National Association of Laboratory Schools) affiliation
  • 2006
    • Dedicated the Dr. Leslie C. Phillipsen Outdoor Classroom