College of Education, Health and Human Sciences Lipman School
University of Memphis Photo


About Pages Menu

Lipman Milestones

1947 Founded as Highland Preschool by Theresa Baum
1959 Adopted as the laboratory school for Memphis State University Department of Education-- housed in the University Training School Building and offering two classes for children ages four to six
1967 School moved to occupy present facilities at 3771 Poplar Ave
1971 Name changed to Children's School
1978 Duration Club School, a preschool for “mentally challenged children" merged with Children's School, creating the first inclusive preschool in Memphis
1986 Children's School became the Barbara K. Lipman Early Childhood School and Research Institute
1987 Received first Accreditation from the National Association for the Education Of Young Children, Washington, D.C.
1992 Housed Project Memphis, the first early intervention program in the United States
1997 Installed computers with Internet access, funded by Project Smart
1998 Broke ground for the Lipman School Multipurpose Building Annex
2003 Established the dual track demonstrations of Montessori and Reggio Emilia-inspired teaching and learning, making Lipman School the only lab school in the United States with this type of constructivist environment
2004 Received licensure from the Tennessee Department of Education because of educational status
Became charter members of NAREA (North American Reggio Emilia Association)
Joined ACT (Association for Constructivist Teachers)
Renewed our NALS (National Association of Laboratory Schools) affiliation
2006 Dedicated the Dr. Leslie C. Phillipsen Outdoor Classroom
Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2013 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 1/10/13