Associate Professor, Department of Management
Dr. Barbara Davis joined the Management department in Fogelman College of Business & Economics in 1994. She received her B.S. from Knoxville College, M.A. from The University of Kentucky, and doctorate from The University of Memphis (then Memphis State University). She worked in numerous manufacturing and service positions including Quality Control Manager and Supervisor prior to entering academia. Her research interests are employment and intercultural communication, workplace skills, and diversity. She teaches business, intercultural, and executive communications. Dr. Davis was nominated for the University of Memphis Alumni Association Distinguished Teaching Award for the 2011 as well as the 2012 academic year.
Martin, J. S., Davis, B. D., Krapels, R. H.(2012). ”A Comparison of the Top Six Journals Selected as Top Journals for Publication by Business Communication Educators” Journal of Business Communication.
Jackson, W. T., Elenkov, D., Davis, B. D., & Wright, P. (2012). “Psychological Contracts in Enterprises.” Journal of Organizational Culture, Communications and Conflict.
Dr. Davis teaches undergraduate and graduate courses and has served on dissertation committees in both the business and education college.
Courses taught include MGMT 3510, Business Communication and Honors Business Communication; MGMT 4510, International Business Communication and Negotiations; and MGMT 7173, Executive Business Communication
- Association for Business Communication Southeast Region Clarice Brantley Service Award, 2012.
- Former, 2003-2004 Suzanne Downs Palmer Professorship Award for Service
- Member, Behavior Standards Committee
- Member, TBR 1st Generation Ph.D.
- Member, Faculty Athletic Advisory Committee
- Coordinator, Business Dining Etiquette Program
- Coordinator, 4C’s Initiative
- Member, Continuous Improvement Committee
- Member, Tenure and Promotion Committee
- Member, Undergraduate Studies Committee
- Member, Association for Business Communication (ABC)
- Member, Southeast Region Association for Business
- Former Vice-President, Southeast Region Association for Business Communication
- Member, Delta Pi Epsilon, Inc.
- Member, Consulting Interest Group (ABC)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Business Communication
- Board Member, Memphis Cancer Research Foundation
- Volunteer, American Cancer Society, Reach to Recovery Program
- Trainer, American Cancer Society, Community Action Team of Shelby County
- Volunteer, Memphis MidSouth Affiliate Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Steering Committee, Memphis MidSouth Affiliate Komen Luncheon
- Coordinator, Race for the Cure, New Bethel M. B. Church
- Career Day Participant, Oakhaven Elementary School (Memphis City School)
- Juror for Exhibition of student Work, Booker T. Washington High School (Memphis City School)
- Volunteer, Memphis In May