Instructor, Department of Management
Ms. Laura Alderson is an Instructor of Management in the Fogelman College of Business and Economics. Ms. Alderson has more than twenty years of college teaching experience and eight years diversified corporate and human resources experience in the areas of employment law, employee relations, recruitment, and administration. Ms. Alderson is certified as a Professional Human Resources Management professional from the Human Resources Certification Institute. She is currently a member of the Academy of Management, Southern Management Association, Association for Educational Communications and Technology, Association for Business Communication, and Society for Human Resources Management. She is a recipient of the Distinguished Faculty Award (2006) and Advising Award (2004) from the University College, an RODP Outstanding Online Instructor award (2003), and the University of Memphis Distinguished Adjunct Faculty Award (2000). Ms. Alderson received her bachelor's degree and MBA from the University of Mississippi.
Ms. Alderson has taught at the college level since January 1994, and at the University of Memphis since August 1999. Currently, she teaches both online and campus undergraduate courses. Following are courses in which she has taught:
Introduction to Business, MGMT 1010; Organization and Management, MGMT 3110; Managing Human Resources for Organizational Effectiveness, MGMT 3215; Business Communications, MGMT 3510; Compensation and Performance Appraisal, MGMT 4240; Organizational Behavior, MGMT 4420; International Business Communications, MGMT 4510; International Management, MGMT 4810; Management and Organization, MGMT 7030
Ms. Alderson has also supervised several management and university college independent studies and internships. Following are the courses:
Senior Projects, UNIV 4995; Internship in Management, MGMT 4911; Management Problems, MGMT 4910; Field Experience, UNIV 2110; Internship, UNIV 4110
Department Undergraduate Curriculum Committee; Department Online Standards Committee; Management Department Aide; MILE program Interviewer
- Teacher of the Year, Honors College - Fogelman College of Business & Economics, University of Memphis - 2013
- Teaching Award, Management Department - Fogelman College of Business & Economics, University of Memphis - 2012
- Distinguished Faculty Award - University College, University of Memphis - 2006
- Advising Award - University College, University of Memphis - 2004
- RODP Outstanding Online Instructor - RODP, University of Memphis - 2003
- Distinguished Adjunct Faculty Award - University of Memphis - 2000
- Alderson, L., Lowther, D., & Martindale, T. (2013, October). Laying the groundwork for an international online collaboration project between Indonesian and American students in higher education. Simonson, M. (Ed.), 36th AECT Annual Proceedings, Practice of Educational Communications and Technology-Anaheim, Volume 2.
- Alderson, L., Lowther, D., & Martindale, T. (2012). Engaging employees in continuous learning and development with mobile devices: Current research and practice. Simonson, M. (Ed.) 35th AECT Annual Proceedings, Practice of Educational Communication and Technology-Louisville, Volume 2.
- Yelker, R., Bailey-Hughes, B., Alderson, L. (2010), Making the most of an international study trip for faculty development. Marketing Management Association Fall Educator's Conference, September 30, 2010, Indianapolis, IN (peer-reviewed).
- Chaney, L., Green, C., Alderson, L. (2003, October). A comparison of students' and employees' knowledge of electronic resumes. Association for Business Communication Annual Proceedings, Albuquerque, New Mexico (peer-reviewed).
- Alderson, L. & Yelkur, R. (2014). "Sustainable Singapore:" A Role Model for Urban Communities. 2014 Global Business Sustainability Conference, September 23-26, 2014, University Center, MI (peer-reviewed).
- Alderson, L. & Lowther, D. (2014). Factors That May Influence Instructors' Choices of Including Social Media When Designing Online Courses. 2014 Association for Educational Communications & Technology International Conference, November 4-8, 2014, Jacksonville, FL (peer-reviewed).
- Alderson, L., Lowther, D., & Martindale, T. (2013, October). Laying the Groundwork for An International Online Collaboration Project Between Indonesian and American Students in Higher Education. 2013 Association for Educational Communications & Technology International Conference, October 29-November 2, 2013. Anaheim, CA (peer-reviewed).
- Alderson, L. (2013, August). A U.S. Online International Management Class Exchanges Research With An Indonesian International Business Class. 2013 Global Business & International Management Conference, August 10-12, 2013, Portland, OR (peer-reviewed).
- Alderson, L. (2010, October), Incorporating the Use of More Collaborative Communication Technologies in Business Communication Courses. 75th Annual Convention, Association of Business Communication, October 26-30, 2010, Chicago, IL (peer-reviewed).
- Yelkur, R., Bailey-Hughes, B., & Alderson, L. (2010). Making the Most of an International Study Trip for Faculty Development. Marketing Management Association Fall Educator's Conference, September 30, 2010, Indianapolis, IN (peer-reviewed).