Thank you for your interest in the MFA in Creative Writing at the University of Memphis. We are excited to review your materials and consider you for our program.
To begin, all applicants must complete and submit the online Masters application along with a non-refundable application fee. For fees and policies consult the Graduate Page.
In addition to the electronic application, all MFA applicants are required to mail the following to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
• Official transcripts showing a bachelor's degree awarded by an accredited college or university
• Official transcripts from any other college or university attended, including all graduate courses
• Official GRE scores
Address these materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions, The University of Memphis, 201 Wilder Tower, Memphis, TN 38152-3370.
In addition to the application materials outlined above, all MFA applicants are also required to mail the following to the English Graduate Office:
• Unofficial copy of transcripts of all academic work
• Print copy of the completed Graduate School application summary (previously completed online)
• Unofficial copies of GRE scores
• Cover letter stating which genre you are applying for and whether you will be applying for an assistantship (Please note if you have fulfilled the 18 credit hours of graduate-level English courses required to teach in the Department of English)
• Detailed statement of intent (two to three pages in length)
• Writing sample consisting of at least twenty pages of fiction or ten poems. We are unable to accept applications in creative nonfiction at this time.
• Three letters of recommendation
• Application for Graduate Assistantship, if interested
Address these materials to the English Graduate Office, University of Memphis, Department of English, Patterson Hall 425, Memphis, TN, 38152.
Please keep in mind that your application process is not complete until all materials are processed by the Gradate School and reviewed by the Department.
MFA Application Deadlines:March 1 for Fall Semester
October 15 for Spring Semester
March 1 for Graduate Assistantships
If you have questions about the admission process for the MFA program, please contact Ms. Sarah Ellis in the Department of English Graduate Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, (901) 678-1448 or contact Graduate Admissions at (901) 678-3685.