MPA Student Internships
All pre-service students in the MPA Program are required to complete an internship. The basic requirements are:
- Students must have completed 18 hours of coursework before doing internship.
- Interns work 300 hours at the host agency. (This equates to 20 hours per week over 15 weeks).
- Student must complete an internship portfolio.
Where do I start with the internship?
Contact the Internship Coordinator to discuss the internship the semester before you plan to do it. The Internship Coordinator will work with you and our community partners to obtain a suitable placement.
Our Internship Coordinator is Professor Candace McRae Walsh, who can be reached by e-mail or phone (901) 678-4395.
Where have students done internships?
Our MPA student have done internships in governments and agencies across the Memphis area and beyond. Here are some examples of recent intern placements:
- City of Bartlett
- City of Memphis
- City of Horn Lake
- Community Development Council
- Grow Memphis
- Habitat for Humanity
- Memphis Grizzlies Foundation
- Shelby County Office of Early Childhood and Youth
- Shelby County Planning and Development
- United Way of the Mid-South
Are there paid internships?
The majority of internships are unpaid, but occasionally paid internships are available. One program that offers paid internships is the Institute for Public Service's (IPS) internship program. This program places students with local governments and pays a stipend. To learn more about the IPS, contact Dr. Michael Howell-Moroney.