Traffic and Parking Rules and Regulations
Article IV - Parking Regulations
These regulations will be enforced at all times. If any of these regulations are violated, the operator of the offending vehicle will be issued a citation and the vehicle may be towed. All unattended vehicles will be considered parking.
- IMPROPER PARKING. Vehicles parked as described below will be issued a citation for Improper Parking.
Citation amounts (fines) are set forth in section 1 listed below.
- In marked Fire Lanes designated by a red painted curb or by signs.
- Within fifteen (15) feet of a fire hydrant.
- In driveways, blocking a driveway, at the end of a parking row, in a traffic lane or in a street so as to impede traffic (double parked).
- In areas designated “No Parking” by signs, yellow painted curb or by yellow striped areas in parking lots.
- In areas designated “Loading Zones” by signs or markings for a period of fifteen (15) minutes or more. Extended loading periods must be arranged through Parking & Transportation Services.
- On sidewalks or on grounds (grass or unpaved areas).
- Outside of a parking space as delineated by white lines.
- In a manner so as to block a ramp constructed to facilitate the movement of disabled individuals.
- Opposing traffic on a University street so that leaving the parking space is hazardous.
- Occupying more than one parking space.
- PARKING PERMITS. Only vehicles properly displaying The University of Memphis parking permit (designated
by a hangtag or bumper sticker, visitor pass or those legally parking at parking meters
or in any parking garage may be parked on property owned or leased by The University
of Memphis. All other vehicles parked on The University of Memphis controlled property
will receive a citation.
- PRIORITY – Only vehicles displaying current The University of Memphis Parking permits designated by a hangtag or bumper sticker for the current semester may be parked in spaces designated for the use of that permit’s assignment. All other vehicles parked in that area will receive a citation. Vehicles parking in a reserved space will receive a citation. Vehicles parking in a reserved space or in Priority parking lots without proper permits will receive a citation and may be towed.
- RESERVED - Spaces marked with a name, number or title are reserved for the exclusive use of the person designated. Only vehicles registered to these individuals are authorized to park in these spaces. All other vehicles parked in a reserved space will receive a citation and may be towed.
- DISABLED – Only vehicles displaying The University of Memphis parking disabled designator and/or State Placard may park in spaces marked as Disabled Spaces. All other vehicles parked in spaces marked as Disabled spaces will receive a citation and may be towed.
- ON CAMPUS RESIDENT – Only vehicles displaying The University of Memphis resident parking permits for the current semester may be parked in spaces marked as Resident Only. All other vehicles parked in resident spaces will receive a citation. Residency status will be confirmed.
- PATIENT PARKING – Only vehicles displaying The University of Memphis parking permits for the current semester and a parking pass from the Health Center may park in spaces designated for patient parking. The parking pass is available from the Health Center reception desk. All other vehicles parked in patient parking spaces will receive a citation.
- PARKING METERS – All vehicles parked in metered spaces will receive a citation for overtime when the display reads, "time expired." Emeriti parking permit holders may park at the meters. Citation for overtime violations may be issued every hour the violation exists.
- VISITOR – Only visitors may park at parking meters marked “Visitors Only”. Registered vehicles parked at meters marked for “Visitors Only” will receive a citation for parking in a restricted parking area.
- GARAGE PARKING – Students, faculty, staff and visitors may park in the Innovation or the Zach Curlin Parking Garage without permit access and will be charged an hourly rate or all-day rate. Students, faculty and staff will be charged a fee for permit access.
- MOTORCYCLE PARKING – Only motor vehicles displaying The University of Memphis motorcycle/bumper sticker including motorcycles, motor bikes, and motor scooters regardless of size may park in spaces designated “Motorcycle Parking” or regularly marked parking spaces. Operating these vehicles on any surface other than designated streets or parking areas is expressly prohibited. These vehicles may park only in designated and/or marked parking spaces. Parking on sidewalks or chaining these vehicles to lampposts and other similar structures is specifically prohibited.