Traffic and Parking Rules and Regulations
0240-3-3-.10 Motor Vehicle Registration And Parking
- Persons eligible to operate vehicles on the campus of The University of Memphis, including employees and students enrolled in credit courses to whom a state issued distinctive license plate or placard for disabled drivers and passengers has been issued, must register with Parking & Transportation Services. Any student or employee who obtains vehicle registration through misrepresentation may be subject to disciplinary and/or administrative action.
- No vehicle is considered to be properly registered until The University of Memphis parking permit (hangtag) is visibly displayed from the inside rear view mirror post or affixed to the exterior upper center of the front windshield. (Taping permit inside of the window is not acceptable). Parking permits are issued in the form of a hangtag or bumper sticker to be displayed on all vehicles authorized to park on property owned and/or leased by The University of Memphis. Permits are issued on a three-year cycle with validation stickers designated for student enrollment each semester. General parking permits allow parking only in general parking lots. Resident parking permits allow parking in one resident gated parking lot and ungated resident areas. Disabled/handicap permits allow parking access to all parking lots and handicapped parking spaces.
- A TEMPORARY PARKING PERMIT MUST BE OBTAINED FOR ANY VEHICLE BEING DRIVEN BY A STUDENT, FACULTY, STAFF OR EMPLOYEE WHEN THEIR PARKING REGISTRATION PERMIT IS NOT AVAILABLE. TEMPORARY PARKING PERMITS MAY BE OBTAINED FROM PARKING SERVICES FOR A PERIOD OF TIME NOT TO EXCEED TWO (2) WEEKS. A FEE IS CHARGED FOR TEMPORARY PARKING PERMITS.
- VISITOR PARKING
- Invited Visitor parking permits are available for University guests invited by a department and may be arranged through Parking & Transportation Services for the inviting department’s distribution. Parking & Transportation Services is open from 7:00am – 6:00pm Monday through Thursday, and 7:00am – 4:30pm Friday.
- Visitor parking permits are available at Parking & Transportation Services. A fee is charged for visitor parking permits.
- Visitors may also park in the Innovation Garage and Zach Curlin Garage without a permit. An hourly fee is charged for parking in the garages.
- SALE OF PERMITS. Authorized Faculty, staff, students and employees may purchase only one parking
permit per semester, and they will be sold according to the priority as follows:
- PRIORITY PARKING
- Faculty, administrative/professional staff and classified staff
Parking lots designated in the Priority group are reserved for the exclusive use of those persons assigned to that lot, and are sold to students on a first come/first serve basis.
ON CAMPUS RESIDENT PARKING
Parking areas designated in the Resident Parking group are restricted for the exclusive use of persons assigned to the Resident Parking area. Assignments will approximate one and one-half parking permits per parking space and are sold on a first come/first serve basis. Residency status will be confirmed.
GENERAL PERMIT PARKING
Parking areas designated in the General Permit group are available to any person eligible to operate a vehicle on campus: students, faculty, staff, vendors and visitors with the proper permit.
PHYSICALLY DISABLED PARKING
Designated disabled parking areas are available to persons with physical disabilities who have a registered University of Memphis parking permit and a valid disabled parking permit issued to the student or employee by a State Department of Safety. No additional fee will be assessed to STUDENTS for physically disabled parking permits. The priority parking permit fee will be assessed to FACULTY/STAFF for physically disabled parking permits. This permit authorizes the permit holder to park in disabled parking spaces in priority parking lots and in other non-reserved, general permit parking spaces on campus.
Spaces restricted for use by specific individuals as approved by the President.
- PRIORITY PARKING
- REPLACEMENT OF PARKING PERMITS OR DEVICES
- Lost or stolen parking permits must be reported to Parking & Transportation Services and will be replaced only after receipt of an additional fee.
- Parking privileges revoked through administrative or disciplinary action will be replaced only after receipt of an additional fee.
- Anyone losing a remote gate control device by accident or theft will be assessed a fee.