The University of Memphis
APPLICATION POLICIES and PROCEDURE
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi awards two (2) $600 Scholarships at the spring
initiation - one to an undergraduate student and one to a graduate student. Scholarships
will be awarded only to students planning to continue full-time study at The University
of Memphis, either in the fall 2013 or spring 2014 semester. Your application must
be submitted to the Scholarship Chairperson, Dr. Beverly Bond, at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 11:59pm, April 12, 2013.
Your application must contain all of the following:
1. A brief essay (about 300 words) describing your academic, leadership, and extra-curricular activities
(post-secondary school) as well as your career goals.
2. A second original essay (about 500 words) on the following topic: “The Importance of Civility in a Democratic
3. Two (2) letters of recommendation from University of Memphis faculty members or administrators. These letters of recommendation
can be submitted directly to the Dr. Bond at email@example.com.
The Scholarship Committee will not review incomplete application packets.
Scholarship awards will be available through the University of Memphis Scholarship
Office in August 2013.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Do I need to submit a hard copy of my application?
ANS: No. Email your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Can the letters of recommendation be sent directly to Dr. Bond or do the letters
need to be submitted along with my two essays?
ANS: Your recommenders can send their letters directly to Dr. Bond. However, it is
your responsibility to make sure that these letters get to us by the deadline. The
committee will not consider incomplete applications.
3. If I was initiated into Phi Kappa Phi as an undergraduate, can I apply for the
ANS: Yes. However, please be sure that your membership is active.