Political Science Internships
Requirements for 3 credit internships:
1) Must have a 2.0 GPA and have completed 60 credit hours (junior status).
2) Be registered for an internship class and pay tuition. After you have been accepted
for an internship email the intern coordinator, Lisa Huffstetler (email@example.com) and she will issue you a permit for the class.
3) Work 150 hours during the semester. This must be verified by a supervisor.
4) Your supervisor will fill out a short evaluation form provided by Professor Huffstetler.
5) Write a short (2-3 page) paper about your internship. You may address questions
such as “What did you learn?” “How did this internship apply to your degree/career?”
“What did you like/dislike about the internship?”
It is your responsibility to turn these documents in to Professor Huffstetler by the
last day of the semester to receive credit.
Every Spring semester the university sends students several students to Nashville
to intern with the state legislature. Students live and work in Nashville where they
are assigned to a legislator. Duties generally include attending committee meetings,
tracking bills through the calendar, constituent service, etc. This is a great opportunity
to view politics first-hand!
This is a full-time internship (12 credit hours) and students are paid a small stipend
(around $350 weekly) to help defray the costs of living in Nashville. You must have
60 credit hours by the end of the Fall semester to apply for the following spring.
Minimum GPA is 2.0. A meeting is generally help in September for students interested
in this program. Check this site for the date of the meeting in September