Graduate Application Instructions
Robert Cohen, Psychology Graduate Programs Coordinator
Graduate Training in the Department of Psychology at the University of Memphis is organized around Graduate Programs, Research Areas, and Faculty mentors.
There are six Graduate Programs (Deadlines for applications):
- Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology (December 5)
- Doctoral Program in Experimental Psychology (January 15)
- Doctoral Program in School Psychology (February 1)
- Master's Degree Program in General Psychology - MSGP (May 1)
- Master of Arts Program in School Psychology (June 15)
- Educational Specialist Program in School Psychology (June 15)
There are five general Research Areas (note Graduate Programs for each)
- Behavioral Neuroscience (Experimental Program)
- Child and Family Studies (Experimental, Clinical, School Programs)
- Cognitive Psychology (Experimental Program)
- Clinical Health Psychology (Clinical Program)
- Psychotherapy Research (Clinical Program)
Note: All research areas are available to students in the MSGP Program. All School applicants are in the "Child and Family Studies" research area.
There are approximately 30 full-time Psychology Faculty with active research programs.
For more information about Programs, Research Areas, and Faculty interests:
Faculty information can be found under the Clinical, Experimental, and School links on the left.
THERE ARE TWO STEPS TO APPLY FOR ADMISSION
- Apply to the University of Memphis Graduate School
- Apply to the Department of Psychology
BOTH STEPS MUST BE COMPLETED FOR AN APPLICATION TO BE FULLY REVIEWED
Step 1: Apply to the University of Memphis Graduate School:
Click on "Graduate School Application" in the left column for the Graduate School Application)
You will need to:
- Complete the appropriate Graduate School Application.
- Send non-refundable fee ($35 domestic, $60 international), official transcripts, and official test scores – GRE (Verbal, Quantitative, Analytic; TOEFL if applicable).
Step 2: Apply to the Department of Psychology
To complete the online Psychology Department Graduate Application you need to be ready to:
- Choose a program of study.
- Choose a research area.
- List names of up to 3 University of Memphis Psychology Department faculty with whom you are interested in working.
- Report your GRE scores (Verbal, Quantitative, Analytic) and overall GPA scores.
- List institutions attended with dates, degrees, and majors.
- Supply e-mail addresses and telephone numbers for three recommenders who will be automatically notified to send letters of reference after application is submitted.
- List psychology related courses taken with grades.
- List academic honors and awards.
- List psychology publications and presentations.
- List psychology related research and work experiences.
- Provide a maximum 1200 word Research Interests and Professional Goals statement.
When ready, click on "Department Application" in the left column.