Michael B. and Shirley L. Lupfer
Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award
Nature of the Award
The award consists of an engraved plaque and a monetary award ($4,000.00 at present,
but subject to change in subsequent years) generously funded by an endowment provided
by former University of Memphis Department faculty members Dr. Michael B. and Shirley
Frequency of Award
The award will be given at four-year intervals beginning in December 2012.
The recipient will be a fulltime member of the Psychology Department faculty who:
- Teaches undergraduate courses (classroom, online, or both) every year, typically in
both fall and spring semesters;
- Models scholarly teaching by seeking new evidence-based teaching methods, using them
in courses and assessing their effectiveness;
- Consistently achieves outstanding student ratings;
- Demonstrates creativity in classroom activities and out-of-class assignments;
- Revises course content and procedures in order to remain current in the field;
- Provides undergraduate mentorship and service, including serving as mentor on Senior
Honors Theses when requested to do so; and
- Maintains a supportive presence at undergraduate functions and is readily accessible
to undergraduate students.
- Nominations will be solicited from Psychology faculty, staff, alumni, and current
students (both undergraduate and graduate).
- A nomination form will be developed, posted on the department website, and called
to the attention of faculty, staff, alumni, and current students in the fall of years
when the award is scheduled to be given.
- Immediate past winners will not be eligible for consideration.
- Nominees will submit a brief description of their career teaching-related accomplishments,
with special attention to achievements in the past four years that are relevant to
the award criteria.
- Selection of the winner will be made by a committee comprised of the Chair of the
Department, the Director of the Undergraduate Program, and the President of the U
of M chapter of Psi Chi or his/her designated representative from among the Psi Chi
officers. The Department Chair may appoint substitutes in the event of conflicts of
interest or if the appointed members are unable to serve for any other reason.
Deadline for Submission of Materials (Nominations and Candidate Statement)
November 19, 2012 for the present award cycle.