Ph.D., University of Michigan
M.S., University of Michigan
B.S., Cornell University
- Environmental, psychological, and physiological mechanisms that promote resilience
or reduce risk for psychiatric problems in the context of early traumatic stress
- Evidence-based interventions for children and families exposed to traumatic events,
such as family violence and interpersonal loss
- Community-oriented studies to explore the various pathways to positive and negative
functioning following exposure to traumatic events in childhood
Dr. Howell will be interviewing doctoral applicants for fall 2014 admission.
- Howell, K.H., Miller, L.E., Lilly, M.M., & Graham-Bermann, S.A. (2013). Fostering
social competence in preschool children exposed to intimate partner violence: Evaluating
the Preschool Kids' Club intervention, Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma,
- Shapiro, D.N., Howell, K.H., & Kaplow, J.B. (in press). Associations among mother-child
communication quality, childhood maladaptive grief, and depressive symptoms. Death
- Howell, K.H., Miller, L.E., & Graham-Bermann, S.A. (2012). Evaluating preschool children's
attitudes and beliefs about intimate partner violence. Violence & Victims, 27(6),
- Howell, K.H., Miller, L.E., & Graham-Bermann, S.A. (2012). Inconsistencies in mothers'
and group therapists' evaluations of resilience in preschool children who live in
households with intimate partner violence. Journal of Family Violence, 27(6), 489-497.
- Miller, L.E., Howell, K.H., Hunter, E.C. & Graham-Bermann, S.A. (2012). Enhancing
safety planning in evidence-based interventions with children exposed to intimate
partner violence (IPV). Child Care in Practice, 18(1), 67-82.
- Howell, K.H. (2011). Resilience and psychopathology in children exposed to family
violence. Aggression and Violent Behavior: A Review Journal, 16, 562-569.
- Graham-Bermann, S.A., Howell, K.H., Lilly, M.M., & DeVoe, E. (2011). Mediators and
moderators of change in adjustment following intervention for children exposed to
intimate partner violence. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 26(9), 1815-1833.
- Howell, K.H., Graham-Bermann, S.A., Czyz, E., & Lilly, M. (2010). Assessing resilience
in preschool children exposed to intimate partner violence. Violence and Victims,
- Graham-Bermann, S.A., Howell, K., Habarth, J., Krishnan, S., Loree, A., & Bermann,
E. (2008). Toward assessing traumatic events and stress symptoms in preschool children
from low-income families. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 78(2), 220-228.