Fellowship, Boston Children's Hospital/Harvard Medical School
Ph.D., University of South Florida
M.A., University of South Florida
B.S., Florida State University
- Biological, psychological, social, and cultural risk and protective factors related to healthy adolescent and young adult development
- Culturally-tailored interventions for adolescent HIV prevention and obesity treatment
- Role of parental involvement and communication in decreasing adolescent sexual and HIV risk behaviors in sub-Saharan Africa and the U.S.
- Improving HIV medication treatment adherence among adolescents and young adults
- Community-based participatory research and dissemination of evidence-based interventions
- Sonneville, K. R., Grilo, C. M., Richmond, T. K., Thurston, I. B., Jernigan, M., Gianini, L., & Field, A. E. (Accepted). Prospective association between overvaluation of weight and binge eating disorder among overweight adolescent girls. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Richmond, T. K., Thurston, I. B., Sonneville, K. R., Milliren, C., Walls, C. E., & Austin, S. B. (In Press). Does the Accuracy of Weight Status Reporting in Young Adults Vary by Race/Ethnicity? Findings from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. International Journal of Obesity.
- Thurston, I. B., Dietrich, J., Bogart, L.M., Otwombe, K. N., Sikkema, K. J., Nkala, B., & Gray, G. E. (2014). Correlates of Sexual Risk among Sexual Minority and Heterosexual South African Youth. American Journal of Public Health, 104, 1265-1269
- Thurston, I. B., Phares, V., Coates, E.E., & Bogart, L. M. (2014). Child Problem Recognition and Help-Seeking Intentions Among Black and White Parents. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, DOI: 10.1080/15374416.2014.883929
- Thurston, I. B., Bogart, L.M., *Wachman, M., Closson, E. F., Skeer, M. R., & Mimiaga, M. J. (2014). Adaptation of an HIV Medication Adherence Intervention for Adolescents and Young Adults. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 21, 191-205. DOI: 10.1016/j.cbpra.2013.11.001.
- Bogart, L.M., Skinner, D., Thurston, I.B., Toefy, Y., Klein, D. J., Hu, C., & Schuster, M.A. (2013). Let’s talk!, A South African worksite-based HIV prevention parenting program. Journal of Adolescent Health, 53, 602-608. DOI: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.01.014.
- Thurston, I. B., & Phares, V. (2008). Mental health service utilization in African American and Caucasian mothers and fathers. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 76, 1058-1067.
- Thurston, I. B., Curley, J., Fields, S., Kamboukos, D., Rojas, A., & Phares, V. (2008). How nonclinical are community samples? Journal of Community Psychology, 36, 411-420.
- Phares, V., Fields, S., & Binitie, I. (2006). Getting fathers involved in child-related therapy. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 13, 42-52.