Fellowship, Boston Children's Hospital/Harvard Medical School
Ph.D., University of South Florida
M.A., University of South Florida
B.S., Florida State University
- Health Disparities & Intersectionality of Multicultural Identities
- Biopsychosocial-Cultural Risk and Protective factors
- Stress, Stigma, & Weight Misperception in Youth with Overweight and Obesity
- Co-occurring Adversities of HIV, Substance Use, and Violence in Mothers and Resilience in their Children
- Community-Based Participatory Research & Intervention Dissemination in Marginalized Populations
- Culturally-responsive Interventions for Adolescents & Young Adults (AYA)
- Thurston, I. B., Hardin, R., Decker, K., Arnold, T., Howell, K. H., and Phares, V. (In Press). Black and White Parents' Willingness to Seek Help for Children's Internalizing and Externalizing Symptoms. Journal of Clinical Psychology.
- Rancourt, D., Thurston, I. B., Sonneville, K. R., Milliren, C., & Richmond, T. K. (In Press). Longitudinal Impact of Weight Misperception and Intent to Change Weight on Body Mass Index of Adolescents and Young Adults with Overweight or Obesity. Eating Behaviors.
- Burton, E. T., Smith, W. A., Thurston, I. B., Gray, E., Perry, V., Jogal, S., & Han, J. C. (In Press). Interdisciplinary Management of Pediatric Obesity: Lessons Learned in the Mid-South. Clinical Pediatrics.
- Howell, K. H., Thurston, I. B., Schwartz, L. E., Jamison, L. E., & Hasselle, A. J. (In Press). Protective Factors Associated with Resilience in Women Exposed to Intimate Partner Violence. Psychology of Violence.
- Fields, E. L., Bogart, L. M., Thurston, I. B., Hu, C., Skeer, M. R., Safren, S. A., & Mimiaga, M. J. (In Press). Qualitative Comparison of Barriers to Antiretroviral Medication Adherence among Perinatally and Behaviorally HIV-infected Youth. Qualitative Health Research.
- Thurston, I. B., Sonneville, K. R., Milliren, C., *Kamody, R. C., Gooding, H. C., & Richmond, T. K. (2017). Cross-sectional and Prospective Examination of Weight Misperception and Depressive Symptoms among Adolescents with Overweight and Obesity. Prevention Science, 18, 152-163.
- Unger, E. S., Kawachi, I., Milliren, C., Sonneville, K. R., Thurston, I. B., Gooding, H. C., & Richmond, T. K. (2017). Protective Misperception? Prospective Study of Weight Self-Perception and Blood Pressure in Adolescents with Overweight and Obesity. Journal of Adolescent Health. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2016.12.017. [Epub ahead of print]
- Anderson, M. B., Okwumabua, T. M., & Thurston, I. B. (2017). Adolescent Condom Carnival: Feasibility of a novel group intervention for decreasing sexual risk. Sex Education: Sexuality, Society and Learning, 17, 135-148.
- Sonneville, K. R., Thurston, I. B., Milliren, C., Gooding, H. C., & Richmond, T. K. (2016). Weight misperception among young adults with overweight/obesity associated with disordered eating behaviors. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 49, 937-946
- Sonneville, K. R., Thurston, I. B., Milliren, C., Kamody, R. C., Gooding, H.C., & Richmond, T. K. (2016). Helpful or Harmful? Prospective Association Between Weight Misperception and Weight Gain Among Overweight and Obese Young Adults. International Journal of Obesity, 40, 328-332.
- Thurston, I. B., Gray, W. N., & Pulgaron, E. R. (2015). Going above and beyond: Exemplar Diversity Training in Pediatric Psychology. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 3, 241-248.
- Thurston, I. B., Phares, V., Coates, E.E., & Bogart, L. M. (2015). Child Problem Recognition and Help-Seeking Intentions Among Black and White Parents. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 44, 604-615.