Why You Need to Take the Tutorial
You must complete the FERPA Tutorial if you need access to the Banner Student Information
system; this system encompasses Internet Native Banner (INB) and Faculty Self Service.
Note: Completing the Tutorial does not automatically give you access to INB; you must
also complete and submit a Request for Access to Banner Student System form to the Registrar's Office.
When you complete the FERPA Tutorial:
- You will receive an e-mail confirming the fact that you have taken the Tutorial. It
would be a good idea to retain this e-mail.
- The Registrar's Office receives an automatic confirmation from the LDAP database that
you have completed the Tutorial. Without this confirmation, the Registrar cannot grant
you access to the Banner Student Information System.
Accessing the Tutorial
- Regular Full-time and Part-time University Faculty and Staff
The FERPA Tutorial channel appears on your Employee tab in the portal.
- Graduate Assistants and Adjunct Faculty
Since you may not have an Employee tab with the FERPA channel on it, you will have
to add the channel to one of your existing tabs before you can begin:
- Click the “Content/Layout” link that appears above your row of portal tabs.
- The portal's "Manage Content/Layout" page appears.
- Highlight the tab to which you would like to add the FERPA channel.
- Determine which column you want the channel in; click the [Add Channel] button in
- When prompted, "1. Select category," highlight "Select all" and click [go].
- When prompted, "2. Select a channel," highlight "FERPA" and click the [Add Channel]
button (step 3).
- Click the "back to Home tab" link under the portal logo.
- Select the tab you added the channel to. You may now take the FERPA Tutorial.
Although you need to take the Tutorial only once as part of obtaining access to the
Student Information system, you may, and are encouraged, to repeat it periodically
and to use it as a reference.