Use the Final Grades feature to record semester grades.
- Click on the “Faculty” tab after you login to the portal.
- Expand the "Banner Self-Service" and "Faculty and Advisors" folders until you see
the "Final Grades" link. Click on this link.
- Select the desired term and click the [Submit] button.
- Next, you will be asked to select a CRN, that is a specific course and section, from
the drop-down list. Click the [Submit] button.
The drop-down list uses only the course title and CRN. Once you reach the actual Final
Grades screen for the section, you will see the Course ID and section number for the
CRN you selected (ex: ACAD 1100 012).
- You should now be on the actual Final Grades screen for the selected class. Record
your grades and any, if necessary, stopped-attending dates.
Note: Do not enter anything in the "Attend Hours 0-999.99" column. This information is
not used at the U of M.
Select a grade for each student still enrolled in your class, using the drop-down
box in the "Grade" column. Remember:
- Allowable grades for each student appear in the "Grade" drop-down box. You have no
other choices. If the grades listed do not seem appropriate for the section, of if
no grades are listed, then contact the Registrar's Office: there could be a problem
with the grade mode.
- You cannot attempt to assign a grade for a student who has a "W" in the "Rolled" column.
The student has officially withdrawn.
- It is possible for a student to withdraw from a course during the grading period (with
an approved late withdrawal). The student's record will have a "Withdrawn" notice;
however, the grading drop-down box will still be active since late "W" grades have
not been rolled. DO NOT CHANGE THE "W" GRADE. The student will receive a "W" grade once grades become official.
- Look for any students who have Stopped Attending dates. This warning message will
appear under the student's record: The student has not withdrawn from the class. The
student has not officially withdrawn and must, therefore, be assigned a grade.
- If a student is to be assigned an F or U and non-attendance is a factor, make sure you enter a Last Attend Date for this student if a date does not already
appear in this column.
- Enter "F" as the official grade for any student who either never attended or stopped
attending yet never processed a withdrawal.
You may record a stopped-attending date on the Final Grades screen if the student
has stopped attending since you last reported attendance. You do not have to go to
the Attendance Reporting screen.
If the student is to receive a final grade of F or U, you SHOULD enter a stopped-attending date if the grade is a result of the student's having stopped
- Enter your date in this format: MM/DD/YYYY. You must enter the slashes, and you must
enter leading zeros for the day and month when needed. For example, enter "09/26/2007"
for September 26, 2007.
- You cannot enter a future date: that is, you cannot enter a date in advance of today's
- You should not enter a date prior to the beginning of the term UNLESS you now want to indicate that a student "Never Attended." Enter a date of "08/19/2007"
in the Last Attend Date column and click [Submit]; the status in the "Reported Attend"
column will change to "Never."
When you have finished recording grades, click the [Submit] button at the bottom of
the screen. Your class is not considered graded, until each student on each page of
the class grade roster has a grade.
Warning Messages and Error Messages
When you click [Submit], you will receive either a message telling you that your changes
have been successfully submitted, or this message telling you that one or more of
your records have error(s): At least one student record is in error. Please review errors below.
Records with errors will be marked with an asterisk (*) to the right of e-mail icon.
The actual error message(s) will be listed below the record in error. Correct any
errors and click [Submit] again.
|Possible Warning Messages
Warning messages may appear anywhere on the page, including under a student's record.
They do not have to be "corrected," and they do not disappear after you submit changes.
Grades cannot be entered for this section. The Attendance Hours and Last Date of Attendance
may be entered and saved. Grades entered will NOT be saved.
- EXCH courses and 0-hour labs are not gradable. Also, the message is misleading: you
can enter Last Attend Date, but you should not enter Attend Hours. We do not use the
Attend Hours column at the U of M.
Please submit grades often. There is a 60 minute time limit starting at [time] on
- Once you login to the portal and reach the Final Grades screen, you have 60 minutes
in which to enter grades. (You may always log off and start other sessions later if
you need more time). You should not leave your terminal unattended for long periods
The student has not withdrawn from the class.
- This message appears to let you know that even though the student has stopped attending,
he or she has not officially withdrawn from the course. You will need to assign this
student an "F" or "U." You cannot leave the student ungraded.
|Possible Error Messages
Error messages appear under the record in error and must be corrected. They will disappear
once you submit acceptable changes.
A date prior to the Class Start Date is not permitted. Enter the day before Term Start
Date to indicate that student Never Attended.
- For Fall 2007 you must enter 08/19/2007. (This date is prior to all Fall terms, including
Future dates are not permitted. Please enter a Last Date of Attendance within term,
no later than today.
- Enter a stopped-attending date that is equal to today's date or an earlier date within
You entered a date in an invalid date format.
- A stopped-attending date must be entered in this format: MM/DD/YYYY. MM = 2 digits
from 01-12; DD = 2 digits from 01-31; YYYY = 4 digits for the year. You must enter
Section is NOT gradable. The grades you entered were not saved.
- EXCH courses and 0-hour labs are not gradable.
The Final Grade Worksheet is unavailable.
- Grading is not open for the term in which the course (CRN) is being offered. You cannot
submit grades before grading opens. The Registrar sends out notices regarding the
grading period; if you have questions, contact the Registrar. If you need to submit
a grade after the grading session has closed, you must do so by submitting a Request for Grade Change form to the Registrar.
Your grade submissions have been rejected. A Last Date of Attendance is not permitted
for grade code(s): A. Please REMOVE the Last Date of Attendance before resubmitting your grades.
(In this example, the instructor tried to assign an A to a student who has stopped attending.)
- You cannot assign a passing grade and enter a Last Attend Date for a student in the
same submission. If you do, neither the grade nor the date will be accepted. To correct
the error, you must either enter a passing grade with no date, or enter a failing
grade with an acceptable date.
- You cannot assign a passing grade to a student who has an existing Last Attend Date
(entered in an earlier Attendance Reporting or Final Grades session). In this case,
the grade is rejected but the existing date remains. To correct the problem, you must
either space out the date, select the passing grade, and then click [Submit], or select
a failing grade and click [Submit].
You may use the Final Grades screen to change grades you have entered as long as the Web grading period for the term is still open. Refer to the appropriate Dates & Deadlines calendar for the grade entry deadline. If the grading session has closed, you will have to
submit a Request for Grade Change form to the Registrar in order to change any grades.
- Select another CRN to report on, or navigate to another service. To select another
CRN, click the [CRN Selection] link at the bottom of the page, and the select "Final Grades" in the resulting menu.
- Logout: Click on the logout icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen when
you are finished using the portal.
Faculty Self Service Guides
Download Class Roster from D2L
Request Access to Banner-Student