UM campus scene - Students walking
UM Summer Classes

At the University of Memphis (U of M), we offer undergraduate, graduate, and law courses through more than 40 academic departments. You can take courses in traditional classroom settings on our attractive main campus or at several satellite locations within the Memphis area. Further, we offer a variety of online courses in case you wish to earn college credit from home.

What type of student are you?

  1. Current or Recent UM Student
  2. First-time U of M Student
  3. Visiting (aka, Transient) Student

Current or Recent U of M Student

Consider taking Summer classes to keep on track for graduation. If you did not take classes in the Spring, be sure to apply for readmission online before you try to register.

First-time U of M Student

If you have never attended college but are interested in testing the waters, Summer is a great time to give it a try. Find out what's being offered here and take a course or two. You don't have to declare a major when you apply: you can apply as a non-degree seeking student (and switch to degree-seeking status later if decide to pursue a degree).

Visiting Student

Suppose you're a student at another college or university and you're home for the summer, but you want to take courses here and transfer the credit to your own institution. Here's what you need to know and do:

Summer Offerings

Find out what's being offered this Summer. If you have not yet applied for admission and received information on establishing your Username and Password for the myMemphis portal, use the Class Schedule Search. If you have established your Username and Password, then login to the myMemphis portal and use the Look Up Classes feature.

Dates, Deadlines, and Sessions

Refer to the Summer 2015 Dates & Deadlines calendar for the admission deadline, first day to register, class begin/end dates, etc.

The Summer consists of several "parts of term" (sessions). Visit our Parts of Term page to understand the differences.

Transfer Credit

If you are taking a course for your own personal interest or benefit, then this step is not a great consideration for you. However, if you are taking a course here to satisfy a requirement at your university, check with your university to see if it will accept a U of M course as the equivalent of one of its own. It's up to your university, not U of M, to determine if a U of M course will satisfy your degree requirements.

Your university will want to review the U of M course description to determine if it will accept the course as transfer credit. Our course descriptions can be found online:

If your university wants to see a course outline or syllabus, you will have to contact the instructor listed for the course, or, if no instructor is listed, the department offering the course. Refer to the department's web page for contact information; links to departmental web pages can be found in U of M's A-Z List.


Because you are not pursuing a degree at UM, you are applying for admission as a Non-Degree Seeking student. This means that, once admitted, you will not have to be advised by a UM advisor. However, it also means that you cannot actually register for a class until April 15, 2015.

Your Transcript from Your Home Institution

As a visiting student, you are not required to send us a copy of your transcript when you apply. However, the course or courses you want to take here may require proof of your having met pre-requisites--courses or test scores that you have satisfied at your home university. For this reason, we strongly suggest that you send a copy of your transcript, even an unofficial version, to UM Admissions when you apply. You can find the mailing address on UM's Contact Us page.


You will register online by going through the myMemphis portal. Refer to this Registration Quick Guide once you have been admitted and have established your portal Password (instructions will be mailed to you by Admissions).

Fees and Fee Payment

Visit the Bursar's website for information on fees, payment deadlines, and methods of payment.

Transferring Credit to Your Home Institution

To transfer your UM courses to your home university, request an official UM transcript. (You do not have to wait until the end of Summer to make your request; you can submit your request early and indicate that you want the transcript sent once Summer grades are official.)



  Quick Links

   Apply Online
   Campus Map
   Class Offerings
   Dates & Deadlines
   Parts of Term


Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Admissions | Financial Aid | Registrar | Scholarships
Office of the Registrar | 003 Wilder Tower | Memphis, TN 38152-3520 | Ph: 901.678.2810 | Fx: 901.678.5757
Last Updated: 3/2/15