If you have reached this page from a link in the portal, begin at step 3.
- Login to the portal - with your Username and Password, the same combination used for UM e-mail. (If you
have trouble getting into the portal, use the help links in the lower left-hand corner
of the login screen before calling the UM Helpdesk at 678-8888.)
- Select the Student tab. (The tab turns blue to indicate that it is active.)
- On the portal's Student tab, find the Registration Tools channel.
This channel contains links to these key registration functions plus a collection
of help guides (Student Self Service Help): (1) Registration Status, (2) Look Up Classes,
(3) Add or Drop Classes, and (4) Concise Student Schedule. When selecting any of the
registration functions, you will be prompted for a Term. Select the desired term and
then click [Submit].
- Click on Registration Status to:
- Verify your earliest date to register; you cannot register before this date.
- Check to see if you have any holds; if you do, scroll to the bottom of the screen
and click [ View Holds ] to see what you must do to remove the hold. You cannot register
if you have a registration hold. Logout (Step 8) and clear the hold before attempting
- Look for any permits issued to you. If you have a permit, make note of the CRN.
- Click on Look Up Classes and then the Advanced Search option to check out course offerings. Select options to search for the classes you
want. Click [Class Search].
When the results are displayed, make note of the CRNs of courses/sections you want.
- Click on Add or Drop Classes to register for classes.
All degree seeking students must be advised. Non-degree seeking students do not need
to be advised.
If You Are Degree Seeking and Have Been Cleared by Your Advisor to Register (or If
You Are Non-Degree Seeking):
- You will see the Add or Drop Classes screen.
- Read the instructions and important information.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and enter your CRNs in the row of open blocks.
- Click [Submit Changes]. The screen will refresh and your courses will be listed. *Web
Registered* will appear to the left of those courses you have successfully registered
for. Courses you did not successfully register for will be listed below these, with
a brief explanation of the problem.
- Refer to this list of common error messages.
- Adjust your classes as needed.
Some students must file proof of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) immunization with Student
Health Services in order to register as full-time students. If you are such a student
and have not filed your proof, you will be limited to part-time status until you do
so. You will see the "measles" message after you click [Submit Changes], and you will
notice that you were not enrolled in all the courses you selected. See: Immunization > MMR for information on submitting your proof.
If You Are Degree Seeking but Have NOT Been Cleared by Your Advisor to Register:
- You will get the Alternate PIN Verification page.
- Do not enter anything; logout instead (go to Step 8).
- See your advisor: only your advisor can clear this PIN. Once it is cleared, you will
not see the Alternate PIN screen again during the semester. You will be able to register.
- Click on Concise Student Schedule to view and print your personal class schedule after you have registered.
- Logout: Click on the logout icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
Student Self Service Guides