Release of Student Education Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) prevents the University from releasing "personally identifiable student education records" to unauthorized individuals or organizations without the student's written consent. (To see what is considered a student education record at UofM, refer to Inventory of Academic and Student Education Records.) However, University employees (ex., advisors) who have a legitimate need to see these records, and parents who can prove that a student is still a dependent for tax purposes, can view these records if they follow the proper procedures.

The portion of the education record known as "Directory Information" is available to the public unless access to it is restricted by the student.

What is Directory Information?

Directory Information is personal student data that can be published in a Campus Telephone Directory or used to identify a student to outside agencies. Directory Information is treated in a professional manner by the University and its employees.

The following pieces of student information are considered Directory Information:

  • Student Name
  • Student U-Number (University ID number)
  • Address
  • Telephone Listing
  • Email address
  • Major field of study
  • Expected Date of Graduation
  • Cumulative Earned Hours
  • Date of Birth
  • Participation in officially recognized Activities and Sports
  • Weight and Height - ** Members of Athletic Teams Only **
  • Dates of Attendance
  • Degrees, including Date of Graduation
  • Awards Received (e.g., Dean's List, Graduation Honors)
  • Most recent Previous Education Agency or Institution attended
  • Current Enrollment Status: (1) Number of Hours currently enrolled in, (2) Status (Part-time or Full-time), and (3) Classification (Freshman, Sophomore, etc.)
  • University Student-Employment Status

If you are a student, you have the right to prevent your Directory Information from being published in the Campus Directory or released to outside agencies. If you elect to suppress your Directory Information, ALL of it will be suppressed. We cannot release some information and suppress the rest.

You may suppress your Directory Information in one of two ways:

  1. Login to iAM and restrict your information electronically:

    • After logging in, select "Update Personal Information," and then "Restrict Release of Student Directory Information (FERPA)."
    • Read the information carefully. If you still want to restrict your information, check "Restrict my directory information" and then click the [Update] button.

  2. Complete a Request to Restrict the Release of Directory Information form and turn it in to The Registrar's Office, 003 Wilder Tower. (The form is in pdf format; if you cannot print it, you may obtain a copy from the Registrar's Office.)

Restricting access to your Directory Information may have some undesired consequences; these are explained on the "Request to Restrict..." form. If you have any questions about these consequences, ask about them at the Registrar's Office.

Who May Request or Release Student Records?

University of Memphis Faculty and Staff

  • You may request copies of student records, provided you have a legitimate need for these records that pertains to your duties at  the University.
  • Never release these records directly to the student. Also, do not release a student's records to a third party unless both the student's written authorization and an approved procedure--developed with the assistance of the Registrar's Office for the student's particular requirements (e.g., packaging of application materials for Nursing Certification)--are on file in the Registrar's Office.
  • Read: Faculty and Staff Access to Student Records.

University of Memphis Students

Parents of University of Memphis Students

  • If you have claimed the student as a dependent for tax purposes in the most recent tax year, you may request a copy of your student's record.
  • Read: Parent Access to Student Record.


  • If you do not fall into one of the above categories and wish to request an exception to the requirements, (ex., you need the information to conduct legitimate research), you must request and receive approval through the Institutional Review Board.