Programs and Benefits

Finding the GI Bill® That's Right for You

(GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

If you are unsure which GI Bill works best for you, visit the GI Bill website to compare the programs:

  • Scroll to the bottom of the GI Bill home page and click on “Compare the Programs.”
  • Click on the “Comparison Chart between the Post-9/11 and other GI Bills.”

Applying for VA Educational Benefits

You may apply for VA Educational Benefits online by accessing the VA application through the GI Bill website:

  • Click “Apply for Benefits”
  • Click “Launch VONAPP”
  • Click “I Am a New VONAPP User”
  • Create a VONAPP Account
  • Select the appropriate application from the drop-down menu and complete. Veterans complete 22-1990. CH 33 dependents complete 22-1990E. CH 35 (DEA) dependents complete 22-5490.
  • Once completed, click submit to electronically send your application to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office for processing.

If you don't have the capability to apply online, you can call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to have a form mailed to you.

Credit for Prior Military Training/Education

JST (Joint Services Transcript)

The JST (Joint Services Transcript) is now the official transcript tool for Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard personnel.  These branches of service have aligned to provide one collaborative transcript program.  The JST replaces:  The Army American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS); the Sailor Marine Corps American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART); and the Coast Guard Institute (CGI). 

This standardized transcript is academically accepted and approved by the American Council on Education (ACE).  It provides corresponding ACE college credit recommendations allowing institutions to validate and document the recommended college credits for professional military education, training courses and occupational experience.

Community College of the Air Force (CCFA)

The USAF provides a transcript through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) with ACE recommended credit.  Contact CCAF and complete its transcript request.

DSST/CLEP Examinations (DANTES)

Obtain a record of and credit earned by credit by examination via CLEP or DSST. 

TN Waiver:

Dependents of Veterans Killed in Armed Conflict

A dependent child whose parent was killed or died as a direct result of injuries received, or has been officially reported as being either a prisoner of war or missing in action while serving honorably as a member of the United States armed forces during a qualifying period of armed conflict, or the spouse of such veteran, may be eligible for a waiver of tuition and required registration or matriculation fees, and may be admitted without cost to any of the institutions of higher education owned, operated, and maintained by the state of Tennessee, if certain age limits, time periods for eligibility, and residency requirements are met. Contact the Veterans Affairs Office in Nashville, TN at 1-800-827-1000 for more information and verification procedures.

VA Services/Programs at UofM

Our office participates in a variety of VA-sponsored services, including:

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty

This program provides educational benefits for individuals who entered military service after June 30, 1985. Your basic pay will be reduced $100.00 a month for the first 12 months of your service unless you specifically elect not to participate in this program. The money is nonrefundable.

If you participate in this program, the VA requires that you certify your enrollment once a month. You may do this in either of two ways:

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill

Chapter 35: Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program

If you are the child or spouse of a veteran classified as "totally disabled," you are eligible for the educational assistance program.

Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve

You are eligible for this assistance program if you are a member of the Selected Reserve, including the National Guard, and if you enlisted, reenlisted, or extended your enlistment for 6 years or more in the Selected Reserve after June 30, 1985.

If you participate in this program, the VA requires that you certify your enrollment once a month. You may do this in either of two ways:

Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP provides educational assistance to Reservists components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency. However, Chapter 1607 benefits cannot be used with other VA educational benefits.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation-Veterans with Disabilities

To participate in this program you must have a military-related disability or disabilities that the VA has rated as at least 20 percent compensable.

Submit these documents to our office:

Work Study

Be sure to familiarize yourself the VA's Work Study Guidelines. Then, complete and submit a VA Application for Work Study Allowance.

Tuition Deferment

Service members, veterans, and dependents of veterans who are eligible for and receiving VA educational assistance benefits may request that tuition and fees for a semester be deferred until the end of the semester. Contact us for more information.

Tutorial Services

Tutorial assistance to defray the cost of needed tutoring is available to eligible persons under Chapters 30, 32, 35, and 1606. For those under Chapter 31, payment is charged directly to the VA.

The tutoring allowance is a supplement to your monthly educational assistance check and is paid without any entitlement. 

Enrollment in All Online or Distance Learning Courses

How Enrollment in All Online or Distance Learning Courses (Web, Hybrid, TNecampus, RODP) Impacts CH 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill Monthly Housing Allowance (BAH)

The monthly housing allowance is payable under the Post-9/11 GI Bill to eligible students enrolled for MORE than ½ time (pursuing training at a rate of pursuit greater than 50%) and enrolled in at least one in-residence course per semester. Students who are enrolled in all online or distance learning courses with method of instruction listed as Web, Hybrid, TNecampus, RODP courses receive 50% of the National average BAH.

Enrollment In Separate Parts-of-Term (POTs)

How Enrollment In Separate POTs Affects VA payment

If you enroll in separate POTs during a semester (Full, 1st, and/or 2nd ), the VA will determine your rate of pursuit as full time, ¾ time, or ½ time separately for each POT based on the number of hours you are enrolled in each POT. VA only combines the total hours enrolled in each POT to determine training time when the POTs overlap.