Welcome to the University of Memphis. We are glad that you have chosen this institution
as your new home of higher education. The following is important information regarding
the HOPE Lottery Scholarship if you were receiving the HOPE Lottery Scholarship at
your previous institution OR if you are transferring from an out-of-state institution, but graduated from high
school in Tennessee:
1. Once you have been admitted to the University of Memphis, you must have all of
your transcripts from previous colleges and universities forwarded to the Admissions
office. Once these transcripts are received, they are reviewed by the Admissions staff
and then loaded into our student information system.
2. The Scholarship Office will review: a) your eligibility upon high school graduation,
b) the number of hours attempted at other institutions of higher education, c) your
overall college GPA, d) your enrollment record at previous institutions to determine
if you meet continuous enrollment provisions of the HOPE Lottery Scholarship statutes,
and e) other information deemed pertinent to determine eligibility.
The Scholarship Office cannot make a determination of eligibility until you have been
fully admitted to the University of Memphis and all official transcripts have been
received by the Admissions Office.
According to Admissions office policy for students transferring in the middle of the
school year, any transcripts received after December 1 will be processed beginning
February 1. This means that your eligibility for the Tennessee HOPE Scholarship may
not be determined in most cases until after February 1. For students transferring
at the beginning of Fall semester, all transcripts must be received at least one month
prior to the start date of school.
Basic Tennessee HOPE Lottery Scholarship Requirements
1. Be a resident of Tennessee for at least one year as of September 1 of the year
you begin college.
2. Graduate from an accredited Tennessee high school in 2003 or later.
3. File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in a timely manner and include The University of Memphis in the list of schools
to receive this information. We encourage you to do this by March 1 of each year,
but it must be processed no later than September 1 of the year attending school to
4. Post a score of 21 or higher on the ACT or 980 or higher on the SAT OR have a cumulative
unweighted high school GPA of 3.0 or higher.
5. Graduates of home school programs are required to meet other special provisions.
Visit www.tn.gov/collegepays for a list of these requirements.
You must complete a FAFSA each year that you are in school.
Eligibility shall be reviewed by the institution at the end of the semester in which
the student has attempted a total of 24, 48, 72, 96, and any subsequent multiples
of 24 semester hours thereafter. Additionally, at 72 attempted semester hours and
beyond, students may be reviewed at the end of each semester if they maintain the
award on a provisional basis. The student:
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 after 24 and 48 attempted semester hours.
After attempting 72 hours and beyond, a student may retain the award by either:
- Achieving a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 OR
- Achieving a 2.75 – 2.99 cumulative GPA after 72, 96, and any subsequent multiples
of 24 attempted semester hours thereafter AND a semester GPA of at least a 3.0 in the preceding semester in which the student will
receive the award as a full-time enrolled student. (The student will be reviewed on
a semester-by-semester basis and must maintain full-time enrollment)
- Must maintain continuous enrollment AND satisfactory academic progress
If a student receives the HOPE Scholarship before Fall 2009, the scholarship is terminated
after attainment of baccalaureate degree OR 5 years have passed from initial enrollment
OR whichever occurs first. However, if a student who first receives the HOPE Scholarship
in the Fall semester of 2009 or thereafter, the Scholarship is terminated after attainment
of baccalaureate degree OR 5 years have passed from initial enrollment OR the student
has attempted at any postsecondary institution a total of one hundred twenty (120)
semester hours; OR whichever occurs first. Be enrolled in at least 6 hours; 12 hours
if eligible on provisional basis.Be enrolled in at least 6 hours; 12 hours if eligible
on provisional basis
- Be enrolled in at least 6 hours; 12 hours if eligible on provisional basis
If you have questions about the Tennessee HOPE Scholarship program, visit the Scholarship
Office in 107 Wilder Tower or call (901) 678-3213 OR contact TSAC for details.