Department of Social Work homepage
University of Memphis Photo

Q:  Can I transfer credits into the MSW program?

A:  It is possible to transfer up to twelve hours of course credit into the MSW program. Courses taken in another accredited or in candidacy MSW program may be transferred as required foundation courses. Courses taken in a graduate program in a related field to social work may transfer in as elective hours. Transfer of credit hours is subject to approval by the student’s advisor and the director of the MSW program. Students seeking to transfer credits should work closely with their academic advisor.

 Q: Can I receive credits by examination?

A: Students may receive credit by examination for up to six credit hours. Students seeking credit by examination should review the requirements and follow the procedures in the MSW student manual and the Graduate Catalog. Credit by examination may only be given in the following eight courses: SWRK 7001, SWRK 7002, SWRK 7003, SWRK 7005, SWRK 7021, SWRK 7022, SWRK 7025, and SWRK 7030. For the credit by examination form, click here.

 Q:  Is the program accredited?

A:  The MSW program at University of Memphis is a new program working toward accreditation through the Council of Social Work Education (CSWE).  The program is currently in candidacy for accreditation and anticipates full accreditation February 2014.

 Q:  Will I graduate from an accredited MSW program?

A:   The program is currently "in candidacy" for accreditation. Candidacy is a three-part process which takes a program several years to complete. If the MSW program is not listed as fully accredited on the CSWE website by the time the first class graduates, alumni may apply for a temporary License Master Social Work (LMSW) credential in the State of Tennessee until the process is complete.  With the temporary LMSW, alumni will be able to practice and accrue hours towards the LCSW.  Once the program is fully accredited, alumni who hold a temporary LMSW will have 60 days to convert their temporary LMSW into a regular LMSW.  More information on Tennessee social work licensure requirements can be found at, the website for the Tennessee Board of Social Workers. Students seeking to practice in other states should look up the licensure requirements for that particular state.

What do I do if I'm applying for the MSW program and my GPA is low?

A:  There is not a minimum GPA required for the program. The admissions committee considers the total application. The committee gives more weight to the last 60 of course credit taken including credit hours taken in other graduate programs.

 Q: Do I have to take the GRE to be admitted to the MSW program?

A:  Yes.  Scores need to be received as close as possible to the application deadline.

 Q: How do I register for the GRE?

A:  Registration packets for the GRE may be picked up on campus at Graduate Admissions, 101 Wilder Tower, or at the Testing Center, 112 Brister Hall Contact the University of Memphis Testing Center at 901-678-2428 for more information.  You can also take the test by computer by contacting the U of M ETS Computer-Based Testing at 901-678-1457.  If you are outside the Memphis area, check the GRE website, for test schedule and locations.

Q: Is there a minimum score on the GRE?

A: There is no minimum required score. The committee looks at the writing score as well as the verbal and quantitative.

Q:   How many credit hours is the program?

A:   Full time and extended study students are required to complete a minimum of 60 semester hours:  30 hours in the foundation curriculum and 30 hours in the concentration curriculum. 9 of the 30 concentration hours are electives. Refer to the MSW Student Handbook for more information.

Q:  Does the MSW program offer Advanced Standing?

A:  Advanced standing started in the Summer of 2013, and has received  approval by the Tennessee Board of Regents. Advanced Standing (3 semesters of study; 37 credit hours) is an accelerated program for students who have a BA in social work, a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 overall and 3.3 in social work courses.  Students interested in the Advanced Standing Program must apply to the program within five years of graduation from an accredited BA/BSW program. 

The Department of Social Work resides in the School of Urban Affairs & Public Policy within the College of Arts & Sciences. The Program offers the Bachelors of Arts degree in Social Work and the Master of Social Work. The BA degree is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and the MSW degree is in candidacy for  CSWE accreditation. Both degree programs include significant work experience through field placement.

Take a look at our brochures:

Master of Social Work Program

Bachelor of Arts Social Work Program

Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2014 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 10/29/13