Midsouth Social Work Professional Development Initiative (MSW-PDI)
What is MSW-PDI?
MSW-PDI is a training program for graduate social work students in their advanced year placement (students entering their second year, or entering as advanced standing), who have an interest in focusing on the behavioral health needs of transition-age youth (ages 16-25) in our community.
The purpose of MSW-PDI is to increase the number of master's-prepared social workers who will work with underserved populations in Memphis and the Midsouth region. This program is funded by a Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Behavioral Health Workforce Education and Training for Professionals Grant #G02HP27984.
- Increase the professional social work workforce in Memphis and the greater Midsouth.
- Increase the social work involvement in inter-professional settings in Memphis and the greater Midsouth.
- Develop the clinical skills of graduate level social workers for engaging and improving outcomes for transition age youth and their families.
- Develop the skills of graduate level social workers for integrating behavioral health interventions into primary care settings and working in inter-professional settings.
- Develop graduate level social workers' understanding of violence prevention strategies.
- Develop graduate level social workers' cultural and linguistic competence.
Internship, Program Components, and Stipend
Participants will be placed in community agencies that serve children, youth, and/or transition-age youth for their advanced year field placement, and must enroll in SWRK 7053 and SWRK 7054.
Participants will attend six experiential/didactic trainings, six seminars, and complete six competency-based assignments and one culminating project. Participants will receive a $10,000 stipend, paid directly to the student over the course of the academic year.
- Must agree to work with underserved populations upon graduation.
- Cannot hold any other federally funded internship or employment. May have federal student loans.
- Must be a US citizen.
If you are interested in applying to MSW-PDI for the 2015-2016 academic year, please email email@example.com. Applications for the 2016-2017 academic year will become available here in January 2016.
Priority Deadline: March 1st, 2015
Regular Deadline: April 15th, 2015
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their application by the Priority Deadline, March 1st, 2015.
For more information, please contact the MSW-PDI program at 901.678.2463 or firstname.lastname@example.org.