- Ph.D., Environmental Sciences, University of Florida
- MS, Biology, Central Michigan University
- Michigan State University, Kellogg Biological Station
- BS, Biology, University of Michigan
- Health risks of contaminants in seafood
- Use of risk assessment in policy and decision-making
- Community-based participatory research to assess and address environmental contamination
- Managing toxic substances in surface and drinking water
- Hites, R., J.A. Foran, D. Carpenter, M.C. Hamilton, B. Knuth, and S. Schwager. 2004.
Global assessment of organic contaminants in farmed salmon. Science 303:226-229.
- Foran, J.A., D. Good, D. Carpenter, B.A. Knuth, M.C. Hamilton, S.J. Schwager. 2005.
Quantitative analysis of the benefits and risks of consuming farmed and wild salmon.
J. Nutr. 135:2639-2643.
- DeWeese, A., N. Kmiecik, E.R. Madsen, E.D. Chiriboga, and J.A. Foran*. 2009. Risk-
and cultural-basedfish consumption advice for Anishinaabe in the 1837 and 1842 ceded
territories of Michigan, Minnesota,and Wisconsin. Risk Analysis 29(6):729-742. (*corresponding
- Foran, J.A., A. DeWeese, N. Kmiecik, and M. Hudson. 2010. Probabilistic estimates
of exposure and risk reduction associated with targeted fish consumption advice for
Anishinaabe tribal members. J. Environ. Public Health, Vol 2010, #802584. Available at: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jeph/contents.html.
- Foran, J.A. 2011. Water Contamination and Treatment. In: Occupational and Environmental Health. Sixth Edition. B.S. Levy, D.H. Wegman, S.L. Baron, and R.K. Sokas, editors. Lippincott, Williams,
and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA.
- Foran, J.A. 2011 (in press). What is can be and is being done about water pollutants?
In: Water and Sanitation-Related Diseases and the Environment: Challenges, Interventions,
and Preentive Measures. J. Selendy and B. Levy eds. Wiley-Blackwell Pub.
New SPH Video
Current SPH Newsletter
What Students Are Saying
Master of Health Administration
Master of Public Health
SBS PhD Program
Epi PhD Program
Healthcare Interpreter Program
Back to SPH Homepage