|James G. Gurney, Ph.D.
School of Public Health
Professor and Director, Division of Epidemiology, Biostatistics,
and Environmental Health Sciences
Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Robison Hall 228Curriculum Vitae
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle
- M.S., Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle
- M.S.W., School of Social Work, University of Washington, Seattle
- B.A., Liberal Studies, Antioch University, Seattle
- A.A.S., Chemical Technology, Seattle Central Community College, Seattle
- Cancer epidemiology and survivorship, including long-term treatment-related outcomes
in children and adults
- Health, psychosocial, and functional outcomes related to chronic diseases and conditions
in children and adolescents, including sickle cell disease, complex congenital heart
disease, obesity and metabolic disorders, autism, trauma
- Causal inference, bias, and methodological issues in the design, analysis, and interpretation
of clinical and epidemiologic research studies
- Epidemiologic Methods: Causation and Bias
- Clinical Epidemiology
James G. Gurney, Ph.D. –Hardin Endowed Professor, Associate Dean, and Director of the Division of Epidemiology,
Biostatistics and Environmental Health in the School of Public Health. Dr. Gurney
is an epidemiologist with extensive experience conducting multidisciplinary research
on health outcomes among children with chronic conditions. In particular, he is an
expert on long-term adverse medical and psychosocial effects of cancer treatment among
childhood cancer survivors. Dr. Gurney is an adjunct faculty member at St. Jude Children’s
Research Hospital where he collaborates on studies of cancer survivorship and health
effects of sickle cell disease. He also has research experience in autism, complex
congenital heart disease, and pediatric and adolescent diabetes and insulin resistance
related to obesity. Dr. Gurney’s research has been funded by a variety of sources,
including the National Institutes of Health, the American Cancer Society, Hope Street
Kids, the Children’s Cancer Research Fund, several state health departments, and most
recently, the FedEx Institute of Technology at the University of Memphis. Dr. Gurney
is a core member of the Data Safety Monitoring Board for the National Institute of
Neurological Diseases and Stroke, is on the Scientific Advisory Board of the Central
Brain Tumor Registry of the United States, and is a frequent member of scientific
peer review panels for the National Institutes of Health. He also is an Associate
Editor and Editorial Board Member for the Annals of Epidemiology, and an elected Board Member and Fellow of the American College of Epidemiology.
Selected Publications (2013-2014)
- Ojha RP, Tota JE, Offutt-Powell TN, Klosky JL, Ashokkumar R, Gurney JG.The accuracy of human papillomavirus vaccination status based on adult proxy recall
or household immunization records for adolescent females in the United States: Results
from the National Immunization Survey-Teen. Annals Epidemiol 2013;23:281-285.
- Hudson MM, Ness KK, Gurney JG, Mulrooney DA, Chemaitilly W, Krull KR, Green DM, Armstrong GT, Nottage KA, Jones
KE, Sklar CA, Srivastava DK, Robison LL. Clinical ascertainment of health outcomes
among adults treated for childhood cancer. JAMA 2013;309:2371-2381.
- Nottage K, Gurney JG, Smeltzer M, Castellanos M, Hudson MM, Hankins JS. Trends in transfusion burden among
long-term survivors of childhood hematological malignancies. Leuk Lymphoma 2013;54:1719-1723.
- Ness KK, Jones KE, Smith WA, Spunt SL, Wilson CL, Armstrong GA, Srivastava DK, Robison
LL, Hudson MM, Gurney JG. Chemotherapy-related neuropathic symptoms and functional impairment in adult survivors
of extracranial tumors of childhood: Results from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort Study.
Arch Phys Med Rehab 2013;94:1451-1457.
- Ojha RP, Tota JE, Offutt-Powell TN, Klosky JL, Minniear TD, Jackson BE, Gurney JG. Human papillomavirus-associated subsequent malignancies among long-term survivors
of pediatric and young adult cancers. PLoS One 2013 Aug 5;8(8):e70349. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0070349.
- Nottage, KA, Hankins JS, Smeltzer M, Mzayek F, Wang WC, Aygun B, Gurney JG. Hydroxyurea use and hospitalization trends in a comprehensive pediatric sickle cell
program. PLoS One 2013 Aug 14;8(8):e72077. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0072077.
- Ojha RP, Gurney JG, Green DM. Clinical prediction models for anthracycline-associated cardiotoxicity
among pediatric cancer survivors – Ready for prime time? Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013;60:1245-1246. [Invited editorial].
- Huang IC, Brinkman TM, Kenzik K, Gurney JG, Ness KK, Lanctot J, Shenkman E, Robison LL, Hudson MM, Krull KR. Association between
the prevalence of symptoms and health-related quality of life in adult survivors of
childhood cancer: A report from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort Study. J Clin Oncol 2013:31:4242-4251.
- Krull KR, Brinkman TM, Li C, Armstrong GT, Ness KK, Srivastava DK, Gurney JG, Kimberg C, Krasin MJ, Pui CH, Robison LL, Hudson MM. Neurocognitive outcomes decades
after treatment for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A report from the St.
Jude Lifetime Cohort Study. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:4407-4415.
- Ojha RP, Gurney JG. The methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism and mortality
in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A systematic review. Leuk Lymphoma 2014;55:67-73.
- Landier W, Knight K, Wong FL, Lee J, Thomas O, Kim H, Kreissman SG, Schmidt ML, Chen
L, London WB, Gurney JG, Bhatia S. Ototoxicity in children with high-risk neuroblastoma – prevalence, risk
factors, and concordance of grading scales: A report from the Children’s Oncology
Group. J Clin Oncol 2014;32:527-534.
- Bass JK, Huang J, Onar-Thomas A, Chang KW, Bhagat SP, Chintagumpala M, Bartels U,
Gururangan S, Hassall T, Heath JA, McCowage G, Cohn RJ, Fisher MJ, Robinson G, Broniscer
A, Gajjar A, Gurney JG. Concordance between the Chang and the International Society of Pediatric Oncology
(SIOP) ototoxicity grading scales in medulloblastoma patients treated with cisplatin.
Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014;61:601-605.
- Fox E, Mosse YP, Meany HM, Gurney JG, Khanna G, Jackson HA, Gordon G, Shusterman S, Park JR, Cohn SL, Adamson PC, McGrady
P, London WB, Maris JM, Balis FM. Time to disease progression in children with relapsed
or refractory neuroblastoma treated with ABT-751: A report from the Children’s Oncology
Group (ANBL0621). Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014;61:990-996.
- Ojha RP, Offutt-Powell TN, Gurney JG. Influenza vaccination coverage among adult survivors of pediatric cancer. Am J Prev Med 2014;46:552-558.
- Oancea SC, Brinkman TM, Ness KK, Krull KR, Smith WA, Srivastava DK, Robison LL, Hudson
MM, Gurney JG. Emotional distress among adult childhood cancer survivors. J Cancer Surviv 2014;8:293-303.
- Gurney JG, Bass JK, Onar-Thomas A, Huang J, Chintagumpala M, Bouffet E, Hassall T, Gururangan
S, Health JA, Kellie S, Cohn R, Fisher MJ, Pai Panandiker A, Merchant TE, Srinivasan
A, Wemore C, Qaddoumi I, Stewart CF, Armstrong GT, Broniscer A, Gajjar A. Evaluation
of amifostine for protection against cisplatin-induced serious hearing loss in children
treated for average risk or high risk medulloblastoma. Neuro-Oncol 2014;16:848-855.
- Gurney JG, Kaste SC, Liu W, Srivastava DK, Chemaitilly W, Ness KK, Lanctot JQ, Ojha RP, Nottage
KA, Wilson CL, Li Z, Robison LL, Hudson MM. Bone mineral density among long-term survivors
of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Results from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort
Study. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014;61:1270-1276.
- Schreiber JE, Gurney JG, Palmer SL, Bass JK, Wang M, Chen S, Zhang H, Swain M, Chapieski ML, Bonner MJ, Mabbott
DJ, Knight S, Armstrong CL, Boyle R, Gajjar A. Examination of risk factors for intellectual
and academic outcomes following treatment for pediatric medulloblastoma. Neuro Oncol 2014 16:1129-36.
- Nolan VG, Krull KR, Gurney JG, Leisenring W, Robison LL, Ness KK. Predictors of future health-related quality of
life in survivors of adolescent cancer. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014;61:1891-1894.
- Ojha RP, Jackson BE, Tota JE, Offut-Powell TN, Hudson MM, Gurney JG. Younger age distribution of cervical cancer incidence among survivors of pediatric
and young adult cancers. Gynecol Oncol 2014;134:309-313.
- Oancea SC, Gurney JG, Ness KK, Ojha RP, Tyc VL, Klosky JL, Srivastava DK, Stokes DC, Robison LL, Hudson
MM, Green DM. Cigarette smoking and pulmonary function in adult survivors of childhood
cancer exposed to pulmonary-toxic therapy: Results from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort
Study. Cancer Epidemol Biomarkers Prev 2014;23:1938-1943.
- Hudson MM, Oeffinger KC, Jones K, Brinkman TM, Krull KR, Mulrooney DA, Mertens A,
Castellino SM, Casillas J, Gurney JG, Nathan PC, Leisenring W, Robison LL, Ness KK. Age-dependent changes in health status
in the Childhood Cancer Survivor Cohort. J Clin Oncol, in press.
- Wilson CL, LiuL, Yang JJ, Kang G, Ojha RP, Neale G, Srivastava DK, Gurney JG, Hudson MM, Robison LL, Ness KK. Genetic and clinical factors associated with obesity
among adult survivors of childhood cancer: a report from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort.
Cancer, in press.