Core Competencies for the Epidemiology PhD
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic and advanced concepts of epidemiology, and basic biostatistics
- Identify and discuss major public health problems and controversies.
- Critically evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of epidemiologic study designs,
and to identify existing data sources for both exposures and outcomes.
- Design and implement appropriate and advanced research methods to answer important
public health questions, and analyze and interpret available epidemiologic evidence
to develop and advocate interventions to promote health equity, prevent disease, and
improve the quality of life.
- Know and appreciate the history, philosophy, and professional and ethical standards
of public health.