Soumitra Bhuyan, PhD, MPH
Assistant Professor, Division of Health Systems, Management, and Policy
About Soumitra Bhuyan
Soumitra Bhuyan, PhD, MPH is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Health Systems Management, and Policy, School of Public Health, a Research Fellow at the Methodist Le Bonheur Center of Healthcare Economics, a Research Fellow at the Cluster to Advance Cyber-Security and Testing, FedEx Institute of Technology, The University of Memphis. Dr. Bhuyan is also a Senior Fellow at the Health Research & Educational Trust, American Hospital Association, Chicago. Dr. Bhuyan was the recipient of the "Rising Star" award from the APHA Health Administration Section in 2013. The award recognizes outstanding potential in the field of health administration and public health practice. Dr. Bhuyan is as an Associate Editor of British Medical Journal Global Health.
- PhD, Health Services Research, Administration and Policy, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- MPH, Western Kentucky University
- MBBS, Zhengzhou University
- Health care information technology
- Healthcare quality
- Health disparities and outcomes
- Cancer prevention
1. Bhuyan SS*, Kim H, Isehunwa OO, Kumar N, Bhatt J, Wyant DK, Kedia S, Chang CF, Dasgupta D. (2017) Privacy and Security Issues in Mobile Health: Current Research and Future Directions. Health Policy and Technology (Forthcoming)
2. Kim H, Powell MP, Bhuyan SS*. Seeking Medical Information Using Mobile Apps and the Internet: Are Family Caregivers Different from the General Public? Journal of Medical Systems. 2017 Mar 1; 41(3):38. Impact Factor: 2.2
3. Bhuyan SS*, Shiyanbola O, Kedia S, Chandak A, Wang Y, Isehunwa OO, Anunobi N, Ebuenyi I, Deka P, Ahn S, Chang CF. Does Cost-Related Medication Nonadherence among Cardiovascular Disease Patients Vary by Gender? Evidence from a Nationally Representative Sample. Women's Health Issues. 2017 Feb 28; 27(1):108-15. Impact Factor: 1.80
4. Bhuyan SS*, Chandak A, Gupta N, Wyant D, Kim J, Bhatt J, Singh A, Gilmore S, Ahn S, Chang CF. Provision of Rehabilitation Services in Residential Care Facilities: Evidence from a National Survey. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2016 Dec 23. Impact Factor: 3.05
5. Bhuyan SS*, Ebuenyi I, Bhatt J. Persisting trend in the breach of medical neutrality: a wake-up call to the international community. British Medical Journal Global Health (Editorial). November 22, 1 (3) e000109; DOI: 10.1136/bmjgh-2016-000109 16
6. Liu T, Li X, You S, Bhuyan SS, Dong L. Effectiveness of AMD3100 in treatment of leukemia and solid tumors: from original discovery to use in current clinical practice. Experimental Hematology & Oncology. 2016 Jul 16; 5(1):1.
7. Bhuyan SS*, Bailey-DeLeeuw S, Wyant DK, Chang CF. Too Much or Too Little? How Much Control Should Patients Have Over EHR Data? Journal of medical systems. 2016 Jul 1; 40(7):1-4. Impact Factor: 2.2
8. Bhuyan SS*, Saha A, Bhatt J. Reducing Emergency Department Use Requires Interventions at Multiple Levels. The American journal of emergency medicine. 2016 Mar 30. Impact Factor: 1.5
9. Bhuyan SS*, Lu N, Chandak A, Kim H, Wyant D, Bhatt J, Kedia S, Chang CF. (2016) Use of Mobile Health Applications for Health-Seeking Behavior among US Adults. Journal of medical systems. 2016 40 (6), 1-8 Impact Factor: 2.2
10. Bhuyan SS*, Chandak A, Gupta N, Isharwal S, LaGrange C, Mahmood A, Gentry D. Patient–Provider Communication About Prostate Cancer Screening and Treatment New Evidence From the Health Information National Trends Survey. American journal of men's health. 2015 Nov 26:1557988315614082. Impact Factor: 1.71
11. Bhuyan SS*, Chandak A, Smith P, Carlton EL, Kenric D, Gentry D. (2015). Integration of Public Health and Primary Care: A Systematic Review of the Current Literature in Primary Care Physician Mediated Childhood Obesity Interventions. Obesity and clinical practice 9(6), pp.539-552. Impact Factor: 2.09
12. Bhuyan SS*, Chandak A, Powell MP, Kim JY, Shiyanbola O, Zhu H, Shiyanbola O. (2015) Use of Information Technology for Medication Management in
Residential Care Facilities: Correlates of Facility Characteristics. Journal of medical
systems. 2015 May: 39:70 Impact Factor: 2.2
13. Bhuyan SS*, Zhu H, Chandak A, Kim J, Stimpson JP. (2014). Do service innovations influence the adoption of electronic health records in long-term care organizations? Results from the US National Survey of Residential Care Facilities. Int J Med Inform. 2014 Dec; 83(12): 975-82. Impact Factor: 2.3
14. Bhuyan SS, Stimpson J, Rajaram S, Lin G. (2014) Mortality outcome among medically underserved women screened through a publicly funded breast cancer control program, 1997–2007. Breast cancer res treat. 2014 Jul; 146(1): 221-7. Impact Factor: 4.08
15. Bhuyan SS, Wang Y, Opoku S, Lin G. (2013) Rural-Urban Difference in Acute Myocardial Infraction Mortality: Evidence from Nebraska. J Cardiovasc Dis Res, 4(4), 209-213.
16. Chen HY, Chu H, Shi Y, Bhuyan SS, Li JP, Liu SR, Yang J. (2012) Association between endothelial nitric oxide synthase polymorphisms and atrial fibrillation: A Meta-Analysis. J of Cardiovasc. Trans. Res. 2012 Aug; 5 (4): 528-34. Impact Factor: 3.1
17. Chu H, Yang J, Mi S, Bhuyan SS, Li J, Zhong L, Liu S, Tao Z, Li J, Chen H. (2012) Tumor necrosis factor-alpha G-308: A polymorphism and risk of coronary heart disease and myocardial infraction: A case-control study and meta-analysis. J Cardiovasc Dis Res 2012; 3: 84-90.
18. Cai Z, Hu X, Zhou F, Han Y, Bhuyan SS, Li XY. Experimental studies of metronomic chemotherapy with docetaxel followed by dexamethasone on tumor growth and angiogenesis on mouse Lewi's lung carcinoma model. Central Plain Medical Journal 2007; 34 (8).
(*Corresponding Author, Students are underlined)
1. Bhuyan SS, Deras M, Stimpson JP. Active Primary Care Physicians in Nebraska: Data Comparison, Supply and Characteristics. UNMC Center for Health Policy, Omaha, NE: August; 2012.
2. Bhuyan SS, Deras M, Cramer ME, Cuddigon JE, Stimpson JP. Primary Care Nurse Practitioners in Nebraska. UNMC Center for Health Policy, Omaha, NE: January; 2013.
3. Bhuyan SS, Deras M, Ritsema TS, Huckabee MJ, Stimpson JP. Primary Care Physician Assistants in Nebraska, UNMC Center for Health Policy, Omaha, NE: January; 2013.