Matthew Smeltzer, PhD
Assistant Professor, Division of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Environmental Health
About Matthew Smeltzer
Matthew P. Smeltzer, PhD, MStat, is an Assistant Professor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. Dr. Smeltzer's primary research interests include non-small cell lung cancer and sickle cell disease. Prior to joining the University of Memphis faculty, Dr. Smeltzer spent 11 years in the Department of Biostatistics at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. In addition to his primary research interests, Dr. Smeltzer has research experience in childhood cancer, breast cancer, immunology, anesthesiology, and biomedical engineering. He is active in the American College of Epidemiology and is an Accredited Professional Statistician by the American Statistical Association.
- PhD, Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN
- MStat, Statistics, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- BS, Mathematics (cum laude), Harding University, Searcy, AR
- Sickle cell disease
- Non-small cell lung cancer
- Bias analysis
- Statistics for epidemiology
- Estepp JH, Smeltzer M, Reiss UM. The impact of quality and duration of enoxaparin therapy on recurrent venous thrombosis in children. Pediatric blood & cancer. Jul 15 2012;59(1):105-109.
- Hankins, J; Smeltzer, M; Wu, S; Aygun, B; Clarke, D. Assessment of Sleep-Related Disorders in Children with Sickle Cell Disease. Hemoglobin 2014;38(4):244-51.
- Estepp JH, Smeltzer MP, Wang WC, Hoehn ME, Hankins JS, Aygun B. Protection from sickle cell retinopathy is associated with elevated HbF levels and hydroxycarbamide use in children. British journal of haematology. May 2013;161(3):402-405.
- Hankins JS, Smeltzer MP, McCarville MB, Aygun B, Hillenbrand CM, Ware RE, Onciu M. Patterns of liver iron accumulation in patients with sickle cell disease and thalassemia with iron overload. European journal of haematology. Jul 2010;85(1):51-57.
- Hankins JS, McCarville MB, Loeffler RB, Smeltzer MP, Onciu M, Hoffer FA, Li CS, Wang WC, Ware RE, Hillenbrand CM. R2* magnetic resonance imaging of the liver in patients with iron overload. Blood. May 14 2009;113(20):4853-4855.
- Razzouk BI, Rose SR, Hongeng S, Wallace D, Smeltzer MP, Zacher M, Pui CH, Hudson MM. Obesity in survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia and lymphoma. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Apr 1 2007;25(10):1183-1189.
- Osarogiagbon RU; Wang, CG; Miller LE; Adair CA; Smeltzer M; Yu X; Berry A. Size and histologic characteristics of lymph node material retrieved from remnant tissue after routine pathologic examination of lung cancer resection specimens. Ann. of Diagn. Pathol. 2014 Jun;18(3):136-9.
- Osarogiagbon RU, Ramirez RA, Wang CG, Miller LE, Smeltzer M, Sareen S, Javed AY, Robbins SG, Khandekar A, Wolf BA, Gibson J, Spencer D, Robbins ET. Dual intervention to improve pathologic staging of resectable lung cancer. The Annals of thoracic surgery. Dec 2013;96(6):1975-1981.
- Guy CS, Vignali KM, Temirov J, Bettini ML, Overacre AE, Smeltzer M, Zhang H, Huppa JB, Tsai YH, Lobry C, Xie J, Dempsey PJ, Crawford HC, Aifantis I, Davis MM, Vignali DA. Distinct TCR signaling pathways drive proliferation and cytokine production in T cells. Nature immunology. Mar 2013;14(3):262-270.
- McCullers JA, Williams BF, Wu S, Smeltzer MP, Williams BG, Hayden RT, Howard SC, Pui CH, Hughes WT. Healthcare-Associated Infections at a Children's Cancer Hospit