Interpreter Course Requirements
Applicants to the Level I Interpreter Course must meet the requirements for language proficiency, education, and age as described below. Completion of the Level I course, taken at the University of Memphis or an equivalent course at another institution, is a pre-requisite for the Level II course. All persons who are interested in taking either course should contact Espi Ralston, Course Instructor, prior to registration and payment to ensure that they meet all the requirements.
Espi Ralston, MA, MAT, MA, CMI-Spanish, CHI
LAnguage Proficiency Requirements
Oral proficiency in English and at least one other language is required.
Applicants must provide documentation of proficiency in English for one of the following:
- Five years or more of professional experience in the US, or in another country where English is the official language
- A high school diploma (or equivalent),or an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the US, or in another country where English is the official language
- Acceptable score for one of the following language exams:
- TOEFL: 570+ paper, 230+ computer version, 90+ on iBT
- ELPT: 950+
- MELAB: 80+
- ECPE: Pass
- FCE Level 3: A
- CAE Level 4: B
- CPE Level 5
- IELTS: 7.0+
- OPI* in English: Advanced Mid-Level
Applicants must also provide documentation of proficiency in a second language:
- OPI* in a foreign language: a score of Advanced-Mid Level or higher is required
*OPI The Oral Proficiency Interview is offered at the University of Memphis Testing Center and, if needed, should be completed at least two (2) weeks prior to the start of the HCI Course. The cost of the OPI is $90.
Applicants must have at least a high school diploma or the equivalent. A bachelor's degree or higher is recommended.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, but it is recommended that they be 21 years or older.