Participating in First Scholars® includes a four-year renewable scholarships of $5,000
to incoming first-time, full-time freshmen whose parents did not attend more than
two years of college. If that description fits your background, you may be eligible
for this program.
To receive a scholarship from us, you must:
- Must be a first generation college student (neither parent earned more than two years
of education beyond high school and no post-secondary degree).
- Be an incoming first-time, full-time freshman.
- Apply and be admitted to the University of Memphis.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Perform in the mid-range of the university's admission standards.
- Be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen and be eligible for in-state student tuition.
- Intend to live on campus and apply for campus housing by the required dates.
- Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
(FAFSA) by February 1, 2013.
- Complete the Student Strengths InventoryTM, a non-academic assessment of your potential for success.
- Be willing to fully participate in the First Scholars® Program and activities over
The First Scholars® award cannot be combined with other University of Memphis scholarships
or scholarship programs.
First Scholars® will be selected based on our eligibility criteria and the results
of the SSI. If you're selected, First Scholars® will provide you with opportunities
to maximize your success in college and help you create an individualized plan to
As a First Scholar® you will be granted up to three additional one-year scholarships
toward your undergraduate studies, provided you meet the following criteria:
- Maintain full-time student status (as defined by the U of M).*
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Demonstrate satisfactory academic progress.
- Demonstrate your commitment and full involvement in developing and following your
individualized strategic plan, including participation in all required activities.
- Live on campus or outside the family home after the freshman year
- Complete your Pay-It-Forward requirement.
* Although the University of Memphis considers 12 hours to be full-time status, First
Scholars® should maintain 15 hours per semester in order to stay on track for graduation
in 4 years.