Staff Senate Meeting Minutes
December 16, 1999
Present: Sally Andrews, Kathy Atkinson, Regina Ayers, Glenda Barton, Devonia Cage, Gary Carman,
Linda Clark, Sherry Crone, Marie Dockter, Jacqueline Driver, Lorene Flowers, Gary
Fortner, Verlinda Franklin, Barbara Harris, Nancy Hollingsworth, R. C. Johnson, Kathleen
Kolby, Ronald MacDonald, Amy Martin, Jann Mayes, Becky McCoy, Beverly McMillan, Edward
Orio, Jane Perrello, Cathy Philpot, Jim Selbe, Patty Simonton, James Singleton, Vanessa
Smith, Michelle Stout, Maurice Williams, Carolyn Zoccola
Absent: Johnny Barnes, Charlie Black, Oscar Collier, Jimmy Craft, Brenda Gray, Mary Harris,
Hazel Haywood, Diana Humphrey, Larry Mayes, John Melton, Bernice Richardson, Leslie
Smith, Veronica Vinson
Excused: Helen Awsumb, Jennifer Joyner, Janice Morganfield, Lynn Owens
Meeting was called to order at 9:35 AM.
October and November minutes were approved.
Dr. George Elder, the Headmaster from the Lausanne School spoke regarding scholarships
offered to full-time University employees. The scholarship is for students beginning
with the 7th grade. Lausanne is co-educational and fully accredited. It is for students 3 years
to 12th grade. For more information, you may contact Human Resources.
Maurice Williams spoke to the Staff Senate regarding crime on campus. It has been
a rough year. Computer theft is up. They are looking at a campus-wide marketing campaign
regarding crime and looking at gating more parking lots, and more watch towers. Crime
is also up in the neighborhood district. We must work together.
- Election: Glenda Barton reported that the special election was completed with the
following new senators being elected: Vanessa Smith-- President's Office, Jann Mayes--Advancement
& Committee Relations, Jacqueline Driver--Business & Finance. Because of a resignation
from the University, there is another vacant position in Business & Finance is the
area of Service Maintenance Worker. The Executive Committee has been discussing changing
the election and by-laws. There have been discussions of restructuring the Senate
to eliminate some colleges not having adequate representation.
- Finance: Maurice Williams reported that the Staff Senate currently has $3,603.46.
- The Unity Picnic for Operation Feed is scheduled for April 5. We are looking at including
- Issues and Review: Regina Ayers--no report
- Standing Committees: Facilities & Services--no report
- Traffic & Parking--no report
- Safety--no report
- IT Planning & Policy Council--no report
- IT Administrative Advisory Committee--no report
- Bookstore Committee--no report
- Food Services--no report
- Public Records--no report
- Fee Refunds & Appeals--no report
- Ad Hoc Committee on Strategic Planning--no report
- Ad Hoc Committee on By-Laws--no report
The Executive Committee approved the President to send two letters.
The University will be getting an additional day for the holiday--December 23.
- to ask President Rawlins for a space for a small office for the Staff Senate
- to ask President Rawlins to include equipment money to get updated computers to replace
those that are outdated or broken to go to faculty first- with the approval from the
Meeting was adjourned.
Next scheduled meetings: January 20, 2000