Absent: Ray Craft, Sherry Crone, Kimberly Edgar, Lanelle Gay, Janice Hines, Addie Hughes,
Richard Jones, Robert Marczynski, Larry Mayes, Ethel Moore, Jeanne Tutor, and Maurice
Excused: Carol Brown, Steve Canaday, Gracie Cato, John Farrell, Patricia Green, Linda Hall,
Hazel Haywood, Lonnie Latham, Lavonnie Perry-Clayton, and Patricia Taylor
1. Roll called.
2. A presentation was made by Steve Harrast and Mary Ann Camp on information Mr. Harrast
had gathered concerning positions at The University of Memphis. The senate asked that
the following questions be addressed:
Dr. Goldberg had asked him to gather information on the following:
- How many new positions have been created in the last five years?
- How many existing positions have been upgraded?
- How many individuals classified as faculty are in administrative positions?
Conclusion presented by Mr. Harrast:
- Count base positions that exist.
(This would exclude temporary and student positions.)
- What are the promotion opportunities here at The University of Memphis?
(The Senate had requested five years of data and they were only able to collect four
Positions classified as clerical support have had a slight downward trend, technology
appears to be pushing jobs up to high levels, and advancement is available for those
who want to move up.
(This is a brief summary of the detailed presentation.)
3. Committee reports:
Finance Committee: Harry Flowers stated the senate account balance is $4,335.28.
4. Standing Committees:
Election Committee: The ballots will go out soon.
AD-Hoc Bylaws Committee: None
Issues Review Committee: Snow Day letter was brought up for approval. The letter will be sent to Dr. Rawlins.
After discussion and input a final draft will be brought to the July meeting.
Traffic/Parking Authority: None
Safety Committee: None
Facilities and Services Com.: None
IT Policy Committee: None
IT Admin. Advisory Com.: None
Bookstore Committee: None
Food Services Committee: None
5. Minutes approved as amended.