Master of Arts in Teaching Advising
The Master of Arts in Teaching degree is a master's degree and teacher licensure program all in one. An individual may not seek teacher licensure at the University of Memphis unless they have a 3.0 undergraduate GPA from an accredited institution. Students are cautioned not to enroll in graduate coursework if they do not meet this standard because tuition cannot be refunded.
How to get started:
- Attend one of the information meetings.
- See the ICL Graduate Advisor, Ms. Lofties in Ball Hall 202.
- Follow the Graduate Licensure Program Checklist to get admitted to Graduate School as either non-degree seeking or degree seeking.
- Apply to the Teacher Education Program (TEP) as soon as you get admitted as either non-degree or degree seeking.
The concentrations for this degree are:
- Early Childhood (PreK-3)
- Elementary (K-5)
- Secondary Education (variety of subject matter areas) (6-12)
- Special Education (Early Childhood, Modified, and Comprehensive)
- Art Education
- ESL Education (without ESL Background)
- ESL Education (with ESL Background)
- Physical Education
- Music Education
Graduate School Application Deadlines for ICL programs are:
- February 1st for Summer
- April 1st for Fall
- October 1st for Spring
All Departmental and Graduate Requirements should be met at the time of submittal. If you have missed the deadline but would still like to attend, you can apply to Graduate School as a non-degree seeking student. Please follow the Graduate Licensure Program Checklist.
MAT Information Sessions
We will offer an information session for students interested in the MAT (Masters of Art in Teaching) program on Tuesday, March 6, 2018; Tuesday, June 5, 2018; Tuesday, September 4, 2018 and Tuesday, December 4, 2018. This is the best way to get started. You will learn everything you need to know about how to get licensed, what tests you need to take, required coursework, how to get admitted to the University and more. Please call 678-2377 to add your name to the list. You may also contact Ms. Lofties about individual advising sessions at email@example.com
If you are not familiar with the campus please see the Campus Map to get to the meeting. You can also call Visitor's Information at 678-2040 for assistance.