In an effort to cooperate with other teacher education programs, the Office of School
Based Clinical Practice at The University of Memphis will facilitate up to two student
teaching placements from other accredited institutions each Fall and Spring semester.
Courtesy placements are normally made in the following counties:
Requests for other counties are contingent upon the availability of suitable placements
and supervision and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you are requesting a courtesy placement in a licensure area in which University
of Memphis students currently participate in a Residency program, you will be required
to complete the same two-semester Residency program. Please contact the Office of
School Based Clinical Practice to determine if you licensure area fits this requirement.
The Office of School Based Clinical Practice will consider courtesy placements when
a written request is received from a fellow institution. Such requests must be received
by February 1st for Fall semester placements and August 1st for Spring semester placements.
The requests must indicate:
- An indication that the student is in good standing and has completed all requirements
for student teaching,
- A list of specific requirements or requests for the student teaching experience, i.e.,
number of weeks, subject/grade, diversity, etc.,
- The name, address and phone number of an appropriate official at the requesting institution,
- The name, address and phone number of the student teacher.
- All required licensure exams have been passed.
- Copy of background check.
Students should register for student teaching credit at their home institution, not
at The University of Memphis. The Clinical Practice Office will be responsible for
making all placements, identifying an appropriate university supervisor and notifying
the home institution of the student's grades following the student teaching semester.
The requesting student must:
- Submit a copy of the University of Memphis student teaching application and an unofficial
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty and/or cooperating teachers or a dispositional
statement from your university.
- Two weeks prior to the beginning of student teaching, the student must pay a fee of
$700.00 for supervision and administrative fees. This fee should be paid by a check
made out to The University of Memphis and submitted to the Office of School Based
- Submit evidence of liability insurance. Liability insurance can be obtained through
membership in a student chapter of NEA, the Christian Educators Network, or through
a rider attached to a homeowner's policy. See www.nea.org if you wish to join Student Tennessee Education Association (STEA). If you have a
rider added to your homeowner's policy, make sure that it states that it covers acts
of commission or omission.
- Sign and submit the attached Courtesy Placement Student Teaching Agreement.
- Submit copies of your PRAXIS II scores.