In order to accommodate our teacher candidates who may need to student teach elsewhere,
the Office of School Based Clinical Practice at the University of Memphis will facilitate
a limited number of student teaching placements outside of the Greater Memphis and
Jackson-Madison County area each Fall and Spring semester for online MAT candidates
only. These placement requests are granted only for cases of documented need. Accepted
reasons include, but are not limited to:
- Online MAT candidate who lives outside the mid-south
- Job relocation of spouse
- Illness of a family member
The Clinical Practice Coordinator carefully considers each courtesy placement request
and reserves the right to deny any requests not deemed necessary. Students requesting
courtesy placements must have a 3.0 GPA and pass all Praxis II exams required for
licensure in order to receive a courtesy placement.
The following steps must be followed to request a Courtesy Placement:
- Contact the University of Memphis Clinical Practice Office at least nine months prior
to the anticipated date of the courtesy placement.
- Identify and contact the Clinical Practice Office of an NCATE accredited university
in the area where you wish to student teach. The host university will have its own
requirements for you. Please follow their instructions.
- Request that a letter from the University of Memphis Clinical Practice Office be sent
to the host university. Be sure to provide the name and address of the person to whom
this letter is to be sent.
- Complete and submit a University of Memphis Student Teaching application to Ball Hall,
Room 204, by the deadline. Application deadline for the Fall and Spring semesters
are posted outside of the Clinical Practice Office.
- Register for student teaching and seminar at the University of Memphis.
- It is your responsibility to see that the host institution submits your grades to
the University of Memphis Clinical Practice Office at the end of your student teaching
semester. These must be received in time to be submitted to the registrar's office
for posting of grades for the semester.
- If you are currently in the Residency program, the host institution must use the Teacher
Performance Assessment or a similar performance assessment in order to receive approval
for your courtesy placement.
PLEASE NOTE: You are responsible for any additional costs required by the host university.