The University of Memphis is authorized to collaborate with public and private schools
in the State of Tennessee to license individuals employed on Transitional Licenses.
The University of Memphis can assist Transitionally Licensed Teachers to obtain their
regular teaching license in all licensure areas except Early Childhood Education.
The process begins at the school district's Human Resources Office. The district must
employ individuals or the Office of Teacher Education must have been notified by the
School District of its "Intent to Employ." In order to move to licensure with the
University of Memphis, an individual employed by a school district must have:
- 3.0 grade point average in their bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university.
- 24 semester hours in the endorsement area (i.e. math, English, Spanish) OR official
Praxis II test scores reflecting a passing score on the Content Knowledge Exam for
the area they are being employed to teach.
It is extremely important for transitionally licensed teachers to contact a college/university
as soon as they are hired. Failure to do so could result in non-renewal of the transitional
license at the end of the first year of teaching. The University of Memphis does not support transitional licenses in early childhood
PreK-3 or K-5.
Teacher Education Program Admission Process
for Transitional Licensed Teachers (TLT)
- TLT must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program prior to May 31st of their first year of employment.
- TLT must maintain a 3.25 grade point average on all graduate course work related to
the Transitional License. A TLT must complete six semester hours of licensure course
work their first year of employment but prior to the summer following their employment.
If an individual does not have a 3.0 undergraduate grade point average, they do not
qualify to seek a regular teaching license through the University of Memphis.
- Apply to the Teacher Education Program immediately after enrolling in your first semester of coursework.
- Submit official passing scores on the relevant Praxis II Content Knowledge Exam prior
to May of the first year of employment. TLT will not be renewed for a second year if the relevant Praxis II Content Knowledge
- Submit passing scores on all three sections of the PRAXIS Core Academic Skills Test
for Educators (CORE)). This test can be taken five days a week at the University of
Memphis Testing Center.
Failure to meet the above requirements will result
in non-renewal of the Transitional License
Obtaining Your Regular Teaching License Requires: Moving from the Transitional License to either an Apprentice or Professional License
is dependent on the procedures of the employing school district and the requirements
of the University of Memphis.
- Submitting passing scores on all required Praxis II licensure exams (this must be
done by the end of the second year of employment or you will not qualify for a third
year on the Transitional License. Every licensure area requires the Principles of
Learning and Teaching Exam (PLT). Please go to ets.org, click on PRAXIS and using
the pull down menu, click on Tennessee for the specific tests.
- Submit an Official Transcript(s) of all college/university course work.
- Successful passing of edTPA.
- Score a 3.0 on State Approved Teacher Evaluation (TEAM or TEM 3.0)
- Verification of employment
- Evidence of School-Based Mentoring
- Fill out the Licensure Application.
Program of Studies
Transitional License and Student Teaching
TLT's do not have to complete a clinical teaching semester if they successfully fulfill
the requirements of the Transitional License and the University of Memphis. In order
to have clinical teaching semester waived for purposes of licensure, please go to
the following link.