Office of Teacher Education and Student Support Services - College of Education, Health and Human Sciences College of Education, Health and Human Sciences Office of Teacher Education and Student Support Services
University of Memphis Photo

Contact Us

Mary Lanier
Ball Hall 202
(901) 678-4309 (phone)
(901) 678-3814 (fax)

Teacher Licensure Menu

Transitional Teaching License

The University of Memphis is authorized to collaborate with public and private schools in the State of Tennessee to license individuals employed on Transitional Licenses. The University of Memphis can assist Transitionally Licensed Teachers to obtain their regular teaching license in all licensure areas except Music and Early Childhood Education. The process begins at the school district's Human Resources Office. The district must employ individuals or the Office of Teacher Education must have been notified by the School District of its "Intent to Employ."  In order to move to licensure with the University of Memphis, an individual employed by a school district must have:

  • 3.0 grade point average in the bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university.
  • 24 semester hours in the endorsement area (i.e. math, English, Spanish) OR official Praxis II test scores reflecting a passing score on the Content Knowledge Exam for the area they are being employed to teach.

It is extremely important for transitionally licensed teachers to contact a college/university as soon as they are hired. Failure to do so could result in non-renewal of the transitional license at the end of the first year of teaching.  The University of Memphis does not support transitional licenses in early childhood PreK-3.

Teacher Education Program Admission Process
for Transitional Licensed Teachers (TLT)

  • TLT must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program prior to  May 31st of their first year of employment.
  • TLT must maintain a 3.25 grade point average on all graduate course work related to the Transitional License. A TLT must complete six semester hours of licensure course work their first year of employment but prior to the summer following their employment. If an individual does not have a 3.0 undergraduate grade point average, they do not qualify to seek a regular teaching license through the University of Memphis.
  • Apply to the Teacher Education Program immediately after enrolling in your first semester of coursework.
  • Submit official passing scores on the relevant Praxis II Content Knowledge Exam prior to May of the first year of employment. TLT will not be renewed for a second year if the relevant Praxis II Content Knowledge isn't passed.
  • Submit passing scores on all three sections of the PRAXIS Core Academic Skills Test for Educators (CORE)). This test can be taken five days a week at the University of Memphis Testing Center.

Failure to meet the above requirements will result
in non-renewal of the Transitional License

TLT's may submit supplemental information in the form of a portfolio to determine if prior experiences can substitute for some of the required course work for licensure. NOTE: Coursework will not be waived if the TLT is planning to seek the Masters degree.

Obtaining Your Regular Teaching License Requires: Moving from the Transitional License to either an Apprentice or Professional License is dependent on the procedures of the employing school district. Typically the requirements will include:

  • Submitting passing scores on all required Praxis II licensure exams (this must be done by the end of the second year of employment or you will not qualify for a third year on the Transitional License. Every licensure area requires the Principles of Learning and Teaching Exam (PLT) and most licensure areas have at least one additional Pedagogical Praxis II Exam. Please go to for the specific tests required by the State of Tennessee.
  • Submit an Official Transcript(s) of all college/university course work.
  • Fill out the Licensure Application.

Program of Studies

Transitional License and Student Teaching

TLT's do not have to student teach if they successfully fulfill the requirements of the Transitional License and are eligible to move to either an Apprentice License or Professional License. In order to have student teaching waived for purposes of licensure or the MAT degree, please go to the following link.

Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2013 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Twitter Twitter
Last Updated: 1/7/14