The University of Memphis Department of Theatre & Dance is one of the best theatre facilities in the city of Memphis. There are five performances spaces used by faculty and students and a Mac Design Lab on site. Main performing spaces are in the Theatre Building and two in the Communication & Fine Arts (CFA) Building.
• The Mainstage Theatre is a flexible proscenium stage space capable of seating 324-385 people and houses our larger productions. It has a large apron as well as side stages to accommodate many settings. This theatre has high end technical support such as computer automated multi-channel sound playback, computerized lighting system capable of supporting automated lighting, projection, and 44 counter-weighted line sets for rigging.
• The Studio Theatre is an intimate black box capable of any configuration. Due to limited seating (between 85—100), smaller productions tend to be produced in this space
• The DanceSpace is the larger of the two dance studios located in the CFA Building. Equipped with computerized lighting control, sound support, and flexible audience seating, this room is used both as a classroom and a performance space.
• The Lab Theatre is directly above the Studio Theatre in the TC Bldg, thus sharing a similar floor plan. This space is primarily for class work and LunchBox presentations.
• Dance Studio and Room TC 201 are both primarily classroom spaces, but may be reserved to use for rehearsals.
The theatre productions are supported and built with state of the art equipment in the Scene Shop, Costume Shop, Lighting Booth, Sound Booth and Design Lab.