Alice Rainey Berry
Director of Publicity and Promotion, Department of Theatre & Dance
About Alice Rainey Berry
Alice, a graduate of both the University of Memphis BFA and MFA programs, is co-founder/Artistic Director of Voices of the South, a Memphis based theatre company that creates, produces and performs theatre from diverse Southern perspectives and and celebrated its 20th anniversary with a run on 42nd street for Summoners Ensemble Theatre in New York.
After a short stint with the Tennessee Titans, Alice returned to the University of Memphis Department of Theatre & Dance as the Director of Publicity and Promotion. Working with students is her true calling and great joy and the Department of Theatre & Dance feels like home.
Alice's creative research is in narrative theatre, creating original work by adapting and performing literature not originally meant for the stage. Performing for both U.S. and international audiences, she has taken narrative theatre to three Edinburgh International Theatre Festivals, two international Faulkner Conferences, Jackson Hole Wyoming, Dijon, Strasbourg, and Paris. She has also been invited to and performed in the narrative style in Palm Desert, California, and Homer, Anchorage, and Fairbanks, Alaska.
One of Alice's greatest honors was performing the role of Mardy Murie in Place of Enchantment for Mrs. Murie, who is often called the Mother of Conservation, at the foot of the Grand Tetons in honor of her 100th birthday.
MFA in Theatre, University of Memphis, 2012; BFA in Theatre and Communication, University of Memphis, 1994.
- University of Memphis, Memphis TN – Adjunct Faculty
- Directing Narrative Theatre, Spring 2014
- Organize, introduce and teach Narrative Theatre as part of the University's theatre curriculum.
- Introduction to Theatre, Fall 2010 – Present
- Organize and teach Introduction to Theatre as part of the University's general education curriculum. Approximately 25-28 students per section.
- Publicity Lab, Fall 1999 – Present
- Train and lead theatre students in fifty hours of production work focused in the publicity area as part of the University's theatre curriculum. Approximately 10 –15 students per section.
- Individual Studies, Fall 2008 – Present
- Organize and facilitate a semester long tour for Voices of the South interns into area schools, churches and libraries.
- Rhodes College, Memphis TN – Adjunct Faculty
- Guest Artist, Collaboration with Central High School, Spring 2015
- Guide Rhodes Fellows and 23 Central High School students in the creation of an original piece.
- Introduction to Performance, Fall 2014
- Lead majors and non-majors through basic theatre exercises, inspire a passion for the art form and equip the students with a fundamental theatrical vocabulary.
- Acting for Non-Majors, Fall 2005
- Lead students through basic theatre exercises, inspire a passion for the art form and equip the students with a fundamental theatrical vocabulary.
Research and Scholarly Activities
Teaching interests: Introduction to Theatre, Acting I, Narrative Theatre, Creative Dramatics, Original Work
- Voices of the South, Memphis TN – Artistic Director Fall 2012 – Present
- Co-founder and Company Member Spring 1994 – Present
- Artistic Director Spring 1994 – Spring 2000
- Collaborate with artists to develop and create new works
- Develop and organize theatrical season, fundraisers and programming
- Lead college interns through the Voices of the South creative process to create new work for the Memphis Children's Theatre Festival and subsequent tour into area schools
- Christmas Pageant, Madonna Learning Center – Fall 2014
- New Adventures of Hansel and Gretel, Voices of the South – Spring 2014
- Holiday Spin, Voices of the South – Fall 2013
- Skin and Bones, Voices of the South – Fall 2013
- *It's All GREEK to Me, Adapter/Director, Voices of the South – Spring 2013
- Christmas Pageant, Madonna Learning Center – Fall 2012
- The Arabian Nights, University of Memphis – Spring 2012
- An Old Forest Fairy Tale, Voices of the South – Spring 2012
- Alice's Tea Party, Voices of the South – Spring 2011
- *Tennessee Waltz, Adapter/Director, University of Memphis – Spring 2011
- Kallahoney Kids..., Voices of the South – Spring 2010
- *Frindle, Adapter/Director, Voices of the South – Spring 2009
- Fences, University of Memphis – Fall 2009
- *Pandora's Box and Other Greek Tales, Adapter/Director, Voices of the South – Spring 2008
- *The Nightingale, Adapter/Director/ Ensemble, Voices of the South – Spring 2007
- Fiddler on the Roof Jr., St. Mary's School – Spring 2005
- The Awakening, Edna, Voices of the South – Spring 2015
- Ghosts of Crosstown, Tucked Away, Opera Memphis – Spring 2014
- Mrs. Bob Cratchit's Wild Christmas Binge, Mrs. Bob Cratchit, Circuit Playhouse
- *Wild Legacy, Mardy Murie, U.S. Fish and Wildlife/VOTS – Fall 2010
- *Cicada, Lily, Voices of the South – Fall 2009
- Fefu and Friends, Julia, New Moon Theatre
- Sid and the Magic Box, Ensemble, Theatre Memphis
- Pre-sent Pres-ent (4 installments), Ensemble, Voices of The South
- The Shoe Bird, Arturo, Voices of the South
- *Twenty Will Not Come Again, Joan Williams, Voices of the South and Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- *The Ugly Duckling, Ugly Duckling, Voices of the South – Spring 2000 – Present
- *Humming Song, Ensemble, Voices of the South
- *The Window, Miss Manifest, Voices of the South
- *Beginnings, Eudora Welty, Voices of the South and Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- *Why I Live at the P.O., Sister, Voices of the South
- *Place of Enchantment, Mardy Murie, The Murie Center
- *Refuge, Diane Tempest, University of Memphis – Spring 2007
- As I Lay Dying, Dewey Dell, University of Memphis (France tour) – Spring 1994
- All My Sons, Kate Keller, University of Memphis (guest) – Fall 2000
- The Merry Wives of Windsor, Mistress Page, University of Memphis
- Darconville's Cat, Ensemble, University of Memphis
- Endgame, Nell, University of Memphis
- The Fools of Rozales, Ensemble, University of Memphis, Director – Ronlin Foreman
* A new work created in a rich, collaborative creative process where all artists (director, actors, designers) through workshops and rehearsal work together to script, choreograph, score and stage the piece.
- Arts for All Camp, Madonna Learning Center, Summer 2014
- Freedom Journey, First Congregational Church, Spring 2013 – Present
- After School Acting, Madonna Learning Center, Fall 2012 – Spring 2013
- Summer Arts Camp, Madonna Learning Center, Summer 2010
- Narrative Workshop,
- TN Thespian Conference Spring 2000 – Present
- The Ohio State
- Freed Hardeman
- UT Martin
- Sense of Place Workshop
- The Murie Center, Summer 2000, 2002 and 2010
- National Conservation Training Center Spring 2011
- Residency Gateway to the Arts (Pitts. PA) Spring 2006 and 2007
- Arts Advantage (Bragg Elem.) Fall 2004
- Ensemble Building St. Mary's School at Land Between the Lakes Spring 1998 –2009
The Fred Mertz Association, Advisor, 1998 – presentGrants