Associate Professor, Department of Theatre & Dance
About Sarah Brown
Sarah Brown, an MFA in Acting graduate of Yale School of Drama is an actor, published playwright, director, solo performer, songwriter, and Fulbright scholar. She is a member of Actors' Equity who has appeared in New York and regional theater, as well as film and television, since she was seven years old. Ms. Brown has authored two plays with music that have been published by Samuel French, Inc., and her plays, published and unpublished, have been performed or work-shopped in New York at the NY Theatre Workshop, The Public Theater, American Place Theatre, American Jewish Theatre and the Miranda Theatre Company. She's been honored to perform her one-person shows in both the regional United States and at international venues, including Edinburgh, Glasgow, London and Israel. Her satirical play about artistic censorship during the reign of Queen Elizabeth the 1st was produced in London at Theatre 503 by the Practicum Theatre Company.
Sarah received a Fulbright Scholarship to teach Solo Performance Development and Commedia dell 'Arte for a year at the University of Haifa, Israel. During that year she expanded her creative borders from traditional theatre to site-specific theatre and theatre with giant puppets. Her fortuitous collaboration with Israeli artists then led to her co-creation and direction of two prestigious and successful site-specific giant puppet shows in Jerusalem, Israel and Izmir, Turkey.
In Turkey she was engaged for 7 weeks in directing and co-creating an historic 'first ever' site specific giant puppet show in that country for Izmir's International Puppet Festival: Kukla Gunleri.
Through her long time relationship with New York theatre professionals, Sarah has enabled the internships of many University of Memphis undergraduates in a special program for burgeoning actors and directors in New York City called SPRINGBOARD-NYC: a program sponsored by the American Theatre Wing to help acclimate and prepare young talent for an artistic life in the big city.
Sarah comes from a theatrical family. Her late mother, Patricia Brown, was a theater director and actress who was the founding director of Theatre Communications Group, the executive artistic director of the Alley Theatre in Houston, Texas, and a winner of the Burns Mantle Award for her production of Alan Ayckbourn's Seasons Greetings in the late 80s on Broadway at the Joyce Theatre in New York.
BA Theatre, 1987 Brown University
MFA Acting, 1994 Yale School of Drama, Yale University
NEW YORK THEATRE PLAY/ROLE
- Cherry Lane Theatre – A Is for Aardvark / Elsie by Jess Lacher/ Maureen Towey, Dir.
- The Miranda Theatre Company – The Testimony of Selma Goldberg/ Selma Writer/ Director (Composed music, lyrics) The NY Theatre Workshop – The Testimony of Selma Goldberg / Selma Writer/ Dir., presented by invitation
- The Public Theatre – The Testimony of Selma Goldberg / Selma Writer/ Dir., presented by invitation
- The American Place Theatre – Hitler & The Nazishop Quartet / Gita Writer/ Dir., presented by invitation
- The American Place Theatre – The Abby Waxman Show (Solo) / Abby Writer/ Director (Workshop Presentation)
- The Double Image Theatre – The Winning Number / Country Singer Writer/ Director
- The Double Image Theatre – The Broken Heart / Lisa Deluth Writer/ Pat Brown, Dir.
- The Double Image Theatre – King of the Pekinese Yellowtail Writer/ Pat Brown, Dir.
- The Connelly Theatre – The Beginning of No / Anna by Cusi Cram/ Cusi Cram, Dir.
- Lincoln Center Lab – Humulus The Mute/ Duchess by Jean Anouillh/ Kamyar Atabai, Dir.
- The Connelly Theatre – The Beginning of No / Anna by Cusi Cram/ Cusi Cram, Dir.
- The Pulse Ensemble Theatre – The Hostage / Miss. Gilchrist by Brendan Behan/ Alexa Kelly, Dir.
- The Pulse Ensemble Theatre – Deep In The Heart Of... / Dottie Wrote play & music/ Pat Brown, Dir.
- The Clarke Theatre at Juilliard – Anna & The Conquest / Lyla by Cusi Cram/ Cusi Cram, Dir.
- Todo Con Nada/ NY Fringe Fest. – Hazel & The Bug Man / Hazel by David Lee/ David Lee, Dir.
- The American Place Theatre – Deep In The Heart Of.../ Jeanie Phelps Writer/ P. Brown, Dir., (Workshop Pres)
- 78th Street Theatre – The Abby Waxman Show/ Abby (Solo) Writer/ Director
- American Jewish Theatre – All Kidding Aside (Solo Show) Writer/ Performer/ Pat Brown, Dir.
- New Dramatists – Rock & Roy/ Louella Parson by B. Kaplan, J. Randich, Dir. (Showcase)
- Yale Repertory Theatre – As You Like It / Audrey Stan Wojewodski, Jr., Dir.
- Alley Theatre – Shooting Stars / Wilma by M. Newman/ Pat Brown, Dir. .
- Alley Theatre – Kind Lady / Aggie by E. Chodorov / Cliff Baker, Dir.
- Alley Theatre – Comedia Pinocchio / Colombina Beth Sanford, Dir.
- Alley Theatre – All Kidding Aside (Solo Show) Writer/ Performer, Pat Brown, Dir.
- Schwartz Center for Perf. Arts – Rez Sisters/ Pelajia Patchnose by T. Highway/ R. Reinholz, Dir. (Cornell)
- Yale Repertory Theatre – Edward II/ Queen's Lady Stan Wojewodski, Jr., Dir.
L.A. & ABROAD
- Theatre HaSimta, TEL AVIV International Solo Show Festival Writer/ Performer
- The Matrix Theatre (L.A.) – The Abby Waxman Show, Solo Show Writer/ Performer
- The Latchmere, London – The Serf of Tidworth Writer
- Edinburgh Women's Mayfest – Open Marriage, Solo Show Writer/ Director
- Theatre HaSimta, Tel-Aviv International Solo Show Festival Writer/ Performer
- Glasgow's Kelvingrove – The Scottish Queen, Solo Show Writer/ Performer
- Oxford Playhouse Company – Hamlet, Ellsinore Castle, Denmark Company Apprenticeship/ ASM
- TV: New York Undercover Marilyn Carter Fox: "Sympathy For The Devil"
- Film: Super Seal Lead Role: Mary Ann United Home Video, Bellweather Prod.
- Film: Subterfuge Anne/Minor Role Bellrock Entertainment (Action Film: Reversal of Fortune Reporter Rauch/ Pressman Producers
- TV: True Blue Ellen/ Crime Witness NBC: Grosso Jacobson Productions
- Award Winning Commercial 2nd Place Cannes Film Pepsi (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- Taught Acting at Cornell University
- Taught Solo Performance, Commedia dell 'Arte and Improvisation at the University of Haifa, Israel
- Taught Master Classes in Solo Performance & Commedia dell 'Arte at Hebrew and Tel Aviv Universities
- Taught Commedia dell 'Arte workshops at Dekalb School for the Arts in Dekalb, GA; Arlington High School in Memphis, TN and Germantown High School in Germantown, TN
Honors and Awards
- Dean's Creative Achievement Award – 2015
- FULBRIGHT SCHOLARSHIP - awarded by the U.S. State Department to teach Solo Performance and Commedia for Actors & Clowns at the University of Haifa, Israel
- AWARDED a FACULTY RESEARCH GRANT for the development of a new play
Research and Scholarly Activities
Teaching interests: Solo Performance Development, Commedia dell 'Arte, Comedy, Improvisation
- King of the Pekinese Yellowtail, a play published by Samuel French, Inc.
- The Winning Number, a play published by Samuel French, Inc.
- The Bingo Prayer: a song published by Samuel French, Inc.
- Flyin' Away: a song published by Samuel French, Inc.
- Horizon: a song; words by Stephen Crane, music by Sarah Brown; published by Samuel French,
- Performed her one-woman show, Bloodshed, Miracles, Deliverance, Good Food, in the International Teatronetto Solo Show Festival in Tel Aviv, Israel at Theatre HaSimta
- Performed her one-woman show, Shooting Stars In Jordan, in the International New York Fringe Festival at Ohio Theatre, directed by Karen Carpenter: award winning director of Nora & Delia Ephron's Off-Broadway hit Love, Loss & What I Wore.
- Directed & Co-Created Angels of the Chimney, the first site-specific giant puppet show in the history of Turkey, in Izmir's Eighth Annual Kukla Gunleri Puppet Theatre Festival. The show presented on two consecutive nights and was attended by over 3000 people each performance
- Directed & Co-Created Citadel of Golems, a groundbreaking site-specific avant garde show with actors and giant puppets in Jerusalem, Israel's industrial zone
- Performed and Directed her published play The Winning Number in Burlington, Vermont's Off Center for the Dramatic Arts "Switch On Grand Opening Theatre Festival"
- Performed the role of Sonia in Christopher Durang's Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike at Playhouse on the Square, Memphis, TN
- Performed the role of Mathilde von Zahnd, in Friedrich Dürrenmatt's The Physicists in the University of Memphis's Department of Theatre & Dance 2014-15 season
- Performed the role of Judith Bliss Noel Coward's Hay Fever in the University of Memphis's Department of Theatre & Dance's 2009-10 season
- Performed the role of Hannah in the musical The Spitfire Grill by James Valcq and Fred Alley in the University of Memphis's Department of Theatre & Dance's 2008-09 season
- Directed and Performed the role of Inez in Jean Paul Sartre's No Exit at The Brooks Museum, Memphis, TN as part of the 25th Anniversary of the North American Sartre Society, hosted by the University of Memphis's Marcus W. Orr Center for the Humanities
- Directed her published play, King of the Pekinese Yellowtail, at the University of Memphis's Department of Theatre & Dance in a two-evening Dinner Box presentation