Learn About the Admissions Process

Learn how to apply for admission to the UofM.

Schedule a Visit

Tours offered weekdays at 9:30 am & 1:30 pm.

True Blue Tiger

We want YOU to be a Tiger.

Scholarships and Financial Aid

Apply for assistance and academic scholarships.

Undergraduate Applications

Spring Deadline: Dec 15

Get an early start on your application.

Graduate Applications

Step Up: Start a Masters or PhD today.

Law Applications

Fall 2016 Deadline: Mar 16

Experience Memphis Law.

International Applications

Spring Deadline: Dec 15

Receive a world-class education.

"To work with a non-profit organization that will allow me to utilize my servant leadership skills and caring ability to further enhance the socioeconomic needs of both domestic and foreign citizens."

Photo of Jade L. Anderson


Register for classes or edit your schedule.

Student Services

Experience college life beyond the classroom.

Student Organizations

Get engaged. Get involved. Experience more.

Majors and Minors

Find your calling with over 50 degree programs.

Course Schedule

View class offerings for the current and upcoming terms.

Academic Calendars

Mark your calendar for start days, breaks and final exams.

Academic Support Services

Improve your academic success.

Lambuth Campus

Advancing the University's mission in West Tennessee.

"Most proud of my accomplishment of graduating with a degree in accounting in three years with Summa Cum Laude and Honors."

Photo of Rachel Prince

eNews and Signup

Stay up-to-date with the UofM.

Parent and Family Events

Join us for events held just for you!


Have a question? We have answers!

Connect With Us

We are here to help you help your student.

Scholarships & Financial Aid

We can help your student attend the UofM.

Student Services

Resources to help your student succeed.

Campus Card

Add money to your student's card for books and food.

Give to UofM

Your gift to the Parent Fund makes the UofM a better place.

"Continue to positively impact American education so every student recieves optimal teaching and learning, every day."

Photo of Laura Jane Link

Join Now

Be True Blue and join the Alumni Association.

Update Your Information

Receive University updates and the Memphis magazine.

Clubs and Chapters

Get involved and stay connected to the UofM.

Make a Gift

Your contribution can make a difference.

Lambuth Chapter

Lambuth Graduates: Reconnect with fellow alumni.

Upcoming Events

Mark your calendar for these upcoming events.

Photo Gallery

View annual collections of the Alumni Association Photo Gallery.


Stay up-to-date with Memphis Matters.

"Continue to positively impact American education so every student recieves optimal teaching and learning, every day."

Photo of Laura Jane Link

Veterans Resource Center

Supporting the transition from military life to civilian life.

Veterans Benefits and Certifications

Learn about Veterans Educational Benefits and Certifications.

Get Credits Toward your Degree

Receive college credit for military experience, skills, and training.

Online Degree Programs

Top provider of more than 50 online degree programs.

B.A. Requirements

Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) (6-9 hours)

These hours are in addition to the University General Education Program requirements.

Foreign Language: 6 hours in a single foreign language at or above the 2000 level or equivalent.

1. If the language chosen was used to meet University admissions requirements, studentsmust take the foreign language placement exam (if they have not already successfully completed a language course at an accredited institution of higher education). For information about the dates and place of placement exams, contact the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures. On the basis of the results of the placement exam, students should follow these guidelines:

If placed into 1010: complete 1010, 1020, 2010, 2020

If placed into 1020: complete 1020, 2010, 2020

If placed into 2010: complete 2010, 2020

If placed into 2020: complete 2020

If placed into 3301 or higher: language requirement fulfilled

Or complete 6 hours at the 2000 level or above of another language

2. Students presenting a language to meet University admission requirements cannot receive credit for 1010 in that language.

3. No credit hours are immediately granted on the basis of the placement exam.

4. Satisfactory completion of the language requirement by means of the placement exam will be noted on the student's transcript.

5. Students whose first college-level language course is 2010 or higher and who pass this course with a minimum grade of "C" may apply for Credit by Course Placement. The applicable fees are listed in the Miscellaneous Fees section of this Catalog. Students wishing such credit must make written application to the chair of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures. Credit by Course Placement shall apply only to the lower division, and credit gained in this manner shall not exceed 12 semester hours in any one language. For additional information, see Credit by Course Placement in Section 5 of this Catalog.

6. Once a student begins with a lower-division course, all remaining higher-numbered courses in the lower division must be taken in sequence, without skipping. For example, students who begin with LATN 1010 cannot skip LATN 1020 and enroll in LATN 2010.

7. For students whose mother tongue is not English, lower-division credit in the native language will be awarded when the student has successfully completed the English composition requirement for graduation and has proven proficiency in the native language to the satisfaction of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures. The student must make written application to the chair of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.

Fine Arts: (Required only if a Fine Arts course was not taken to fulfill General Education requirements): 3 hours from: ART 1030, ARTH 2010, ARTH 2020, COMM 1851, COMM 4850, COMM 4858, DANC 1151, DANC 3101, MUS 1030, MUS 1040, MUHL 4800, THEA 1030, THEA 4551, THEA 4552.

NOTE: The College of Arts and Sciences accepts a maximum of two semester hours in physical activity courses toward the fulfillment of its degree requirements.

To qualify for the Bachelor of Arts degree, the student must complete a minimum of 120 qualifying semester hours with a grade point average of 2.0. A minimum of 42 semester hours must be in courses from the upper division. A minimum grade of "C" is required in every course applicable toward a major or minor (including corequisites). A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for courses applied to the major. Every student should be aware that the mere completion of course outlined below with a minimum grade of "C" does not guarantee classification as a major or minor in the discipline concerned; the student must be recommended by the chair of the department in which the major or minor is sought. If, in the opinion of the department chair, the quality of the student's work is not high enough, additional work, the repetition of courses, or other evidence of acceptable scholarship may be required.

Residence Requirements

University residence requirements are explained in detail in the Graduation from the University section. A transfer student in The College of Arts and Sciences must earn at least 6 semester hours in residence in the major subject and at least 3 semester hours in the minor. These credits may be earned only through regular class enrollment for a letter grade.