UofM open Tuesday, 5/30; Park Ave Campus affected by power outageMore

Requirements for Teacher Licensure

An undergraduate student can be recommended for licensure to teach in Elementary Education (Grades K-6); Early Childhood Education (Grades PreK-3); or Special Education (Grades K-12); or Physical Education (Grades K-12), Art (Grades PreK-12), Music (Grades PreK-12) in the State of Tennessee by completing all degree requirements for that endorsement as outlined for the Bachelor of Science in Education in the COLLEGE OF EDUCATION DEGREE PROGRAMS section of this Catalog, or the College of Communication and Fine Arts for Art and Music.

A student in any of these programs must (1) file an application for admission to the Teacher Education Program in The College of Education, Health and Human Sciences; (2) fulfill the requirements and application procedures for the year-long Residency; (3) apply to graduate before the University deadline; (4) have an overall GPA of no less  than 2.75 and a grade of "C" or above in each required course on their program of study; (5) pass all appropriate PRAXIS II licensure exams, and (6) fulfill all other graduation requirements listed under the TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAMS: REQUIREMENTS section.

Graduate, special, and transfer students who wish to obtain a teacher’s license should confer with the academic advisor in the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences, Room 202, Ball Hall on the main campus, or Room 220 in the Barnell-Jones Building at the University of Memphis, Lambuth Campus, concerning their individual requirements.