Registration and Student Records

All continuing students are expected to register during November for the following Spring semester and in April for the following Summer OR Fall. Students are responsible for becoming familiar with the deadlines, rules, and regulations related to registration.

Student Records The Office of the Registrar provides grade reporting and transcript services. Current semester grades may be obtained on Student Self Service at

The University of Memphis requires written authorization from the student to release transcripts. Transcripts may be requested in person (003 Wilder Tower), electronically, or by mail. Include the following information with your request: complete name, former names, Banner ID Number (U#) or last four digits of Social Security Number, birth date, current address, first and last years of attendance, address(es) where transcript is to be mailed, number of copies to each address. Sign and date your request. There is no fee for the first twenty transcripts; however, a transcript will not be released if you have not satisfied all obligations to the University. If you have any additional questions, please contact Transcripts Office at (901) 678-3927.

The University is required by state law to withhold grade reports and transcripts from students who have outstanding financial obligations to the University.

Student and Faculty Services Student Information Services provides services to students related to their current term enrollment and their personal biographic/demographic data. These services include: schedule adjustments (drop/add/withdrawal), name changes, address changes, etc. This unit is located in the Registrar's Office, 003 Wilder Tower.

Veterans Educational Benefits & Certification, located in the Office of the Registrar, Room 003, Wilder Tower, provides assistance for eligible national guard/reserves, veterans and/or dependents who enroll at the University of Memphis and request to use their VA educational benefits. Those who will be using VA educational benefits while enrolled at the University of Memphis should contact the office and be prepared to furnish the following documentation:

1. A copy of the Certificate Of Release Or Discharge From Active Duty, (DD-214 Member-4) or other armed forces separation papers

2. Copy of Delayed Enlistment Contract

3. Copy of marriage license and children's birth certificates

4. Copy of final divorce decree if either veteran or spouse was previously married

5. VA File Number

6. Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)

7. Kicker Contract

Enrollment Status: For VA educational benefits during the regular full 15 week semesters (Fall and Spring), 12 semester hours constitute a full-time load for undergraduate and law students. For graduate students, 9 semester hours constitute full time. Training time for summer sessions and other non-standard terms for undergraduate, law, and graduate students is determined by the number of semester hours enrolled in each part of term.

The Veterans Administration places restrictions on those who receive VA educational benefits. Some restrictions include: (1) regular class attendance, (2) satisfactory academic progress, and (3) adherence to a specific degree plan.

Degree Plan: Only courses required for the degree and major may be certified to the VA. Undergraduate students now have access to UMdegree, a web-based tool that helps students and advisors monitor progress toward meeting degree requirements. Courses that are listed as Fallthrough on UMdegree may not be certified for VA Educational Benefits without further investigation. Fallthrough generally indicates excessive elective course(s) that are not included in the 120 hours needed to graduate. Students who enroll in courses that are listed as Fallthrough on UMdegree should consult with their academic advisor and request that UMdegree be updated if the course(s) is not correctly listed. This verification is necessary before the course(s) may be included in the number of hours certified to the VA.

Repeat Courses: VA will not pay for repeat courses if the grade previously earned is accepted by the University of Memphis and will fulfill graduation requirements (even if the course was taken at another institution with or without use of the G.I. Bill).

Although advisors are provided for veterans, this assistance does not relieve students of the responsibility for fulfilling all VA and University requirements.

Certification: To request certification for VA educational benefits, students must submit the Veterans Request for Certification form to Veterans Educational Benefits & Certification. Certifications are not automatically processed, students must submit this form each semester.

VA Educational Tuition Deferment Request: Service members, veterans, and dependents of veterans, who are eligible for and receiving VA educational benefits, may request to have their tuition and fees deferred until the end of the semester by contacting Veterans Educational Benefits & Certification.

Early Registration for Veterans: Public Chapter No. 788, 2012 Acts of the Tennessee General Assembly. This new state law provides that military veterans who entered and served honorably in the United States armed forces on active duty, active national guard, or active reserves must be allowed to register for classes at TBR and UT institutions prior to the general student population. The law applies to a military veteran who is currently a resident of Tennessee or whose home of record for military purposes is Tennessee, and who is a student at a public institution of higher education.

Any veteran not currently receiving Veterans educational benefits who wishes to be identified as a veteran in order to receive priority registration should provide a copy of the DD-214 (or other appropriate military documents) to Veterans Educational Benefits & Certification.